Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

HELP!!! But What College/University?

CelticCeltic Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
edited November 2009 in College Search & Selection
I have a 3.253 Weighted (3.13 Un-Weighted) GPA.
24 on ACT
Highest SAT 1660 (out of 2400), 1140(out of 1600).
Go To A Top/Very Competitive Public High School on Long Island(Nassau County). (Half of My Grade Takes Alot of AP's).
College Essay on Rowing(Crew).(Had to Stop because of Financial Reasons)

I am Interested in History and Criminal Justice and possibly Education or Military Tech.
I Live In New York State (Want to Stay in NE U.S. (Like Washington D.C. and UP)

CLUBS AND SPORTS

Model U.N. (Won Best Position Paper, Best Delegate) – 11,12

Kinsmen (Men’s Vocal Group – Tenor II/Bass I) – 10,11,12

TRI-M Music Honor Society - 12

Student Government (Float Builder) – 9,10,11,12

Bowling (Captain) – 10,11,12

Crew (Won Most Improved, Most Dedicated) – 2 Seasons 10th Grade

Track & Field – 9 & 11

FBLA – 11 & 12

International Club – 11,12

Green Club – 11,12

Chess Club – 11,12

Rachel’s Challenge Club – 12

Key Club – 12

Volleyball - 12

AP AND HONORS COURSES
10th – Honors Biology
11th – AP United States History
11th – (Honors) Symphonic Choir
11th – Honors Chemistry
12th – AP Environmental Science
12th – AP U.S. Government and Politics
12th - (Honors) Symphonic Choir

2010 Guinness World Record – (Longest Line-Step Dance)

COMMUNITY SERVICE

1. Volunteered at 2 Bible Schools (VBS – 1 School For 2 Summers, The Other For 1 Summer as a Counselor)30 HRS., 2. Volunteered at the 2009 Barclays Golf Tournament (Concessions Stand)10 HRS., 3. Volunteered at Saint Mary’s Church (Helped With Mailings and Religious Education Material),20 HRS 4. Volunteered at a Eagle Scout Project at North Shore Hospital at the Center of Progressive Care (Created/Fixed up a Garden for Patients to Recover)15 HRS, 5. Volunteered at Kiwanis Fundraiser 5.5 HRS.

Currently Working at Crate & Barrel (Floor-Stocker – Maintaining Display’s, Helping Customers, Replenishing Stock)

Irish, Roman Catholic

Never Had A Detention or Been Disciplined

I Have Missed Only 1 or 2 Days of School

Worked On My Grandfather’s Farm For 2 Summer’s

My Father Never Went To College

My Grandmother Passed Away in 11th Grade (Lived At My House) and My Grandfather Became Very Ill With Cancer in 11th Grade
Post edited by Celtic on

Replies to: HELP!!! But What College/University?

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,915 Super Moderator
    Definitely look at some SUNYs/CUNYs. Here is a thread about history and SUNYs:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/suny-general/559794-suny-best-history.html
  • CelticCeltic Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Bump. Thanks Erin's Dad
  • yabeyabe2yabeyabe2 Registered User Posts: 2,454 Senior Member
    You have many excellent options. On the Parents Forum, check out 2 excellent threads--the B+ students thread started by MSU and the 3.0-3.3 students thread started by Ready to Roll. Lots of good ideas there, such as Marist, Fordham, Manhattanville, Siena, Ithaca and Hartwick in NY; Quinnipiac and Fairfield in CT; Fairleigh Dickinson, Rowan, Seton Hall and Ramapo in NJ; Moravian; Temple, Lycoming, Elizabethtown, Scranton, Arcadia, Bloomsburg, Pittsburgh and St Joe in PA; Catholic in DC; Loyola, Towson, McDaniel and Salisbury in MD.

Many of these have Education and CJ and are Catholic. They have a wide range of sizes, cost and locations, as you did not mention a choice.

Don't panic--but get a move on--spaces are being filled already in some of these with rolling admissions, Open Houses are dwindling and the weather for visits will get worse.

Have you spoken to your guidance counselor?

Good luck
  • CelticCeltic Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    bump. thanks yabeyabe2
  • yabeyabe2yabeyabe2 Registered User Posts: 2,454 Senior Member
    Celtic, once you check some out, or decide what you want re size; urban/rural; cost; and Catholic/nonCatholic, I can refine the list (by the way, I forgot Sacred Heart and Salve Regina in CT--we are Jewish, but we have a lot of Catholic friends so I hear a fair amount about Catholic schools).

Ask your counselor if your high school has the Naviance software program which will tell you how kids from your HS have done at these schools.
This discussion has been closed.