Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Need some match and reach suggestions

ClockfaceClockface Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
edited November 2009 in College Search & Selection
-Junior
-SAT: 1930 (R-610; M-590; W-730) I know, they're oddly inconsistent!
-GPA: about 93, whatever that translates to
-1 AP last year, 2 this year, probably 2 or 3 more next year, other academics all honors
-Volunteer work from Beta Club, Drama Club officer, VERY involved in theatre (I want a college with a pretty active theatre), nominated for Georgia Governor's Honors Program in Spanish last year, and am still in the audition/interview process of GHP for Theatre this year.
Now of course I'll be retaking the SAT later (and subject tests), doing a few more things like that, but this is basically where I am now. I go to a well-ranked public high school in GA and already know what my safeties are, I just want some suggestions for matches and reaches.
-Not super small or rural
-Intellectual environment, but still have fun. I'm not really that big on sports- except hockey- but I guess if the team was good I could get into it, because I DO love school spirit!
-theatre opened to non-majors in case I don't major in it, and not completely dominated by BFA or grad students, etc
-Not interested in the west, all-women's, or religious affiliation (where there is actually still a strong presence).
-Undecided what I would study, maybe History and/or Drama, recently I've been pondering becoming a teacher for the first time in my life. But you never know what teenage brains will think of next.
$: I think we're in that pesky average income range :P Safeties would probably give me merit aid, but I doubt many other places would with these current scores.
Post edited by Clockface on

Replies to: Need some match and reach suggestions

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,627 Forum Champion
    >>>>>>>>>>>

-Junior - -SAT: 1930 (R-610; M-590; W-730)

-GPA: about 93, -1 AP last year, 2 this year, probably 2 or 3 more next year,

-Intellectual environment, but still have fun.
    I DO love school spirit!

-theatre opened to non-majors

-Not interested in the west, all-women's, or religious affiliation (where there is actually still a strong presence).

-Undecided what I would study, maybe History and/or Drama, recently I've been pondering becoming a teacher for the first time in my life.

$: I think we're in that pesky average income range :P Safeties would probably give me merit aid, but I doubt many other places would with these current scores.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I tried to summarize your above info, because I have ADD... LOL :)

A 93% is a "high" A- average...so about a 3.8 (I'm estimating - others might do better)

Did you take the PSAT this year? Do you think you did well on that?

What is your home state?

You're smart to recognize that family income may limit any F/A prospects (many kids don't "get" this!! :( ) However, since you're only a junior, you have many opportunities to improve scores to get some merit money. :)

What are you doing to improve Math score? (I have tips for this! )

Have you considered taking the ACT?

Either way, get some practice books. :)

Once we know your home state, we can come up with some great choices.

However, do you want to go out of state?
  • OHKIDOHKID Registered User Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    Miami University (Ohio)
  • ClockfaceClockface Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    I'll look up Miami, thanks

I live in GA, I'll def. work on the math. I knew it wasn't great but that was lower than I expected, ha. And I think I did well on the PSAT but I get that back in a couple months
    EDIT: And heck yeah I'd love to go out of state, I love the north and my family is from there
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,627 Forum Champion
    Get Collegeboard's practice book for the SAT and do as many math problems as you can. Especially focus on problems that you're not used to seeing/doing.

When we know what your PSAT is, we'll have more ideas... Your PSAT and/or SAT (or ACT) scores (if high enough) might get you a free ride somewhere.

Would you get the GA scholarship?

Have you visited UGa?
    HOPE Scholarship? Yep, that's why my safeties are in state.
    I'm visiting UGA soon because my mom lives near Athens
    ^^^

What are the rules about using HOPE outside of GA? Possible? how much money?
    Nothing if you leave the state :/
    Full tuition and 300 for books if it's public in GA; 3k per year and 300 for books if it's private in GA.
    Bump.....

Anyone have some ideas for this student?
    Thanks anyway, mom2collegekids :)
This discussion has been closed.