Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

the right business program for me?

sportsfan522sportsfan522 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
edited October 2009 in College Search & Selection
I'm a senior living in Pennsylvania interested in majoring in finance or international business, and I'm looking for schools in the Northeast/ Mid Atlantic region, where there is an active sports scene. I'm okay with the school not having International Business as a major as long as they offer it as a minor. In addition I'm going to need significant financial aid, family income about 50,000, so the school will hopefully have a good financial aid program or scholarships that I would qualify for.

Stats: 4.5 weighted gpa
3.8 unweighted

Sats: 1380/2070

Extacurriculars: Varsity Tennis (2 years)
German Club (4 years)
National Honor Society (2 years)
70 hrs community service

Schools already applied to:
Penn State
University of Pittsburgh- accepted
Temple University (honors program)

What other schools would you guys recommend?
Post edited by sportsfan522 on

Replies to: the right business program for me?

• sportsfan522sportsfan522 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    I'd be open to schools in other areas though if anyone has any suggestions.
  • OHKIDOHKID Registered User Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    Look west to Indiana, home of in-state priced tuition for you and a far superior business program.

U South Carolina would also be worth a look as well as Bentley and Bryant.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,902 Forum Champion
    If you need significant F/A, you may have to avoid OOS publics because many/most can't meet need.

Does your state have any agreements with other states so you can receive in-state rates?

You have to be careful about financial aid. Many schools cannot meet 100% of need - so there is a gap between cost and aid; and many schools put a lot of student loans in their F/A packages.

You may not have thought about this...but simply borrowing $50k total (about 12k per year) will result in a $600 per month payment for 10 long years. That will be during the years of ages 23 - 33. Such a debt could be a hardship making it difficult to buy a home, buy a car, or to simply move on with your life.

Will you be taking the SAT again next month?

I don't want to discourage you, because there are some good options :) I just don't want you to get yourself in a situation of burdensome debt... :(

When you say active sports scene....do you mean football? or any sport?
  • kitty56kitty56 Registered User Posts: 1,326 Senior Member
    You could check out St. Joseph's in Philadelphia which has D1 sports and International Business and Finance. They offer merit scholarships from 1/2 to 3/4 tuition for stats of your range. Plus you may still be eligible for need based money.

The University of Scranton has both IB and Finance also, but is D3 sports with active intramural and club sport programs. You would qualify for very good merit money there and possibly need based as well.
    Ok thanks for the recommendations. I have a few questions and responses to some of your questions.

mom2collegekids- I won't be taking the sats next month. I previously had a 1940 and had to study a decent amount to get the 2070 on the october sats. And by active sports scene I would hope that the school would have a football and basketball team, but as long as it had one or the other I'd be fine with that. Also, thanks for the perspective on how much I would be paying if i went to OOS publics. I knew it would be a lot, which is why I have avoided them, but I didn't realize it would be that much.

Also, I've looked into the University of South Carolina and noticed I would be eligible to receive the Mcnair Scholarship, which it says would be 15, 000 dollars a year and reduction to in state tuition. Does that mean that after the scholarship it would cost in state tuition, or that I would have in state tuition and then the scholarship on top of that.

Similarly, with Indiana would I be eligible for in state tuition or does a scholarship reduce it to that.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,742 Super Moderator
    Maybe U Dayton?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,902 Forum Champion
    By any chance are you a URM? :)

If so, there are probably some more choices!!!

What is your math SAT
    What is your CR SAT

(and congrats on the SAT increase - I know that is hard work!!! :) )
    no I'm actually not an URM. My Math score was 750, CR was 630.
    OK.... so, to summarize (I'm ADD, so I need to do this.... :)

PA resident

Business major - International Business, but as a minor OK

loves sports - wants football and/or basketball team

Stats: 4.5 weighted gpa
    3.8 unweighted

Sats: 1380/2070 - Math score was 750, CR was 630. M+CR = 1380

Needs lots of Financial Aid... Family Income is about $50k (anyone know what EFC would likely be?? ).

The University of Alabama (great business school The Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration and has International International Programs ) UA also has an Internation Honors Program and other foreign language programs that coordinate well with International Business.

Right now, you'd certainly qualify for 2/3 of your OOS tuiton if you apply by Dec 1st for admission and for scholarships.

Out of State students who have a 30-31 ACT or 1330-1390 SAT (CR + M) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive two-thirds the cost of tuition for four years.

But, the business school also gives scholarships (which stack), so you could get more $$.

On top of that you'd get whatever federal aid you'd qualify for... :)

There are also scholarships to help pay for any study abroad in China, Japan, Europe, etc, that would enrich your education. :)

Here's one of the links to the private room dorms (private rooms in 4 room suites that share a kitchenette, lliving room, and 2 bathrooms) Scroll down for floor plans and more pics... http://housing.ua.edu/ridgecrestsouth.cfm

Beautiful campus, good weather, fun school, super friendly kids.

Don't let the "south" scare you. Alabama has kids from all 50 states, and many of its "in-state" students are really the children of "transplants" since the state is home to the second largest research park in the nation (Cummings Research Park - home to many high-tech and Fortune 500 companies). The UA profs are from all the top schools - Ivies, Stanford, Berkeley, UMich, UVa, etc. Therefore, the school has more of a cosmopolitan feel.

An out-of-state student recently wrote on this forum... "UA is recruiting for the best and brightest students nationwide. For many students, it is the money that first interests us in Alabama, we visit, and then we get hooked."

Here's a link to the Virtual Campus Tour - The University of Alabama

School website The University of Alabama

BTW...we're California natives and both of our kids go there.

And...of course...awesome football :) And, since UA has a new basketball coach, expect great things in that area, too

also wanted to add....Apps for Admission and for scholarship(s) are SUPER EZ...no essays, no recs. Each take about 5 minutes!!! This should, at least, be a financial safety for you.

:)
  • diontechristmasdiontechristmas Registered User Posts: 2,891 Senior Member
    TU honors sounds like a great choice being in state. You should definitely get $5K+ a year in aid. Maybe not a full ride, but possibly close. Fits the rest of your criteria. One of the top 10 iBiz programs in the country.
  • Cuse0507Cuse0507 Registered User Posts: 4,519 Senior Member
    Look at UNC-Chapel Hill.
  • minimini Registered User Posts: 26,431 Senior Member
    USouth Carolina's undergraduate program in international business has been ranked #1 (ahead of Wharton, Stern, etc.) for 11 straight years.
This discussion has been closed.