Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Scholarships for Second Bachelors?

gogirl22gogirl22 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
I'm wondering whether anyone has info. on getting a second ba in the US or Canada. Which schools offer second BAs? And do any offer financial aid or merit-based scholarships? Since I've almost completed my first BA, I would really like to incur as little debt as possible for the second one!

BTW, my current BA is in a humanities field, and I'm interested in pursuing a second BA in math. So, no, simply going to graduate school in math isn't in an option for me--I lack the background.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

PS: I apologize for those of you who've already read this thread in reply to another post. I accidentally posted there and meant to start a new thread.
Post edited by gogirl22 on

Replies to: Scholarships for Second Bachelors?

• mol10emol10e Registered User Posts: 445 Member
    It seems as if you want to have another major not another degree. If you go to another school for undergraduate study you will need to have as many of your credits transferred to the new school and will wind up taking probably two years worth of credits to secure another bachelors degree. What is the desire for the math background based on? If it is to prepare for advanced graduate training in a math related discipline, you may not need to have all the courses required for a major. If it is to teach at the secondary school level, you may need a major (at least in New York).
  • gogirl22gogirl22 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Right, I should explain.......

The reason I want to study more math (i've had a calc. sequence and matrix theory at my current u.) is not so that I can teach HS. Nor do I exactly want to pursue more grad. work in math per se. Rather, I'd like to study more logic and philosophy, probably at the doctoral level and eventually work in philosophy. I think math would complement my philosophy skills, and also, in case I ever want to work in logic seriously, I think a math background of some sort would be almost required. Also, I just enjoy it and would like to learn more.

I realize that the most practical thing for me to do in terms of time and money would be to spend a fifth year at my u. getting some more math background. The problem is that I am really, really tired of my u., have wanted to transfer for a while and really want to just get my BA and get outta there. The math dept. isn't bad here, I just simply can't tolerate another year at this school.

Of course, if it comes down to having to take out tons of loans for a second BA, I won't do it. But, at this point, I'd really like to try. Any others stuck in my position? You need/want a second BA in a certain area but can't afford it and also aren't prepared to do grad. work in that area?
  • beginningbeginning Registered User Posts: 996 Member
    Math would probably be a B.S., wouldn't it?

Many state schools allow second Bachelor's degrees.
    Also, if you only want the background for future study, why not do a certificate or similar program? You can even just take courses as a continuing education student.

You don't really need to a complete a new degree in order to do post-grad study, as long as you have a decent background in the subject you want to pursue.
    Depending on the school, the math degree would be a b.a. or could be b.s., yes. I'd be interested in either of those, so long as it had a strong program in pure math.

To share some of my research I've already done, the following schools offer second bachelors (I think, I'm doing this from memory):

Indiana-Bloomington
    Minn.-Morris
    Rice
    U. Michigan (in *very* limited cases, apprrenlty)
    UC-Irvine (also in limited cases)
    U. Minn.-Twin Cities

And, I know there are tons of others, especially public schools, that offer second BAs. My main problem is affordability, and I also would prefer a program with strong undergrad. teaching if at all possible.

If I were eligible for merit aid anywhere, I think my undergrad. record would make me a strong competitor for those sorts of scholarships. So far, everything seems to be limited to first BA students--which makes sense, of course. It's just not so great for moi:/
    beginning, in response to your recent post:

I agree, I don't need the actual bachelors. I'd be happy with more experience in math without any sort of additional credentials. It's just paying for it. Also, my senior year at my u. (this coming year) is already full with finishing my other gen. eds and studying abroad so I won't have time to take some of the additional math classes I'd like to, and as I've said before, I really can't tolerate a fifth year here, not to whine, but I can't.

Thanks for your comments, though.
    Sounds bad. :/ Which school are you currently at?
    well.......
    I sort of hesistate to say, since my experience/opinion definitely isn't shared by everyone there.

So, w/ the caveat that my school is good for some and has been good for me in some ways, but I'm just tired of it at this point: It's U. Nebraska at LIncoln.
    Interesting. I had actually considered them for Med/Ren Studies, especially since they seemed to be recruiting me (UNO absolutely is), but it's just too far for me.
    I see. I don't know much about UNO except that it's a commuter school. I'm also not really familiar w/ the Med/Ren. program at UNL, but I do know they sponsor some sort of study abroad proagram to Oxford, so it might have some potential.

My biggest turnoff to the whole place is its greek and, in most circles, anti-intellectual bent. There are definitely pocketes of interesting people and great departments, but the whole ratrace feel and the (generally, not universally) apathetic students can get tiresome. And football is absolutely *worshiped* here.
    I've always found the UNO thing weird, especially due to the commuter deal. No clue how they found me or what they want, other than my application fee. :)

Jock schools don't do anything for me at all. The football thing would get very old. I have season tickets for UConn home games, but it's more or less because it's something to do, not because I have any great interest in the sport.
  • mikemacmikemac Registered User Posts: 9,579 Senior Member
    you should talk to the grad advisor in the philosophy dept at your school for more info, but my understanding is that when you are pursuing a grad degree (eg. enrolled in the program) you have a LOT of flexibility over what courses you can take. If you want to take some math ones, it shouldn't be a problem.

If the reason you want to do this is to be more attractive to grad programs in the first place, maybe a different story.
This discussion has been closed.