Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Ask questions about William and Mary here

Replies to: Ask questions about William and Mary here

• mom9955mom9955 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Here's another thing on my mind: what do kids do about going to the store? Is there a Walmart or grocery store within walking distance? Do kids just get it all on Amazon or stock up when home? If I recall kids can't have cars freshman year, and given the distance for us, mine may not until well into his college years. Also if anyone is Catholic, which church do students prefer? I see there are 3, but the closest is Eastern rite. My husband is orthodox so thinks this is AWESOME, but I wonder if college kids would be drawn to it.
  • AWonderfulLifeAWonderfulLife Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    edited April 9
    I have a daughter who is a sophomore. Catholic campus Ministries holds Masses at National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham at 11:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Sunday. In one of the lecture halls, there also is a later Sunday night Mass (9:00 p.m.). The Shrine is an actual Church, and IIRC, it used to be Saint Bede Catholic Church, which has a beautiful new Church outside town.
  • Chips99Chips99 Registered User Posts: 199 Junior Member
    @mom9955 There is a Food Lion nearby that students often walk to! I know this page is technically for driving directions, but it might be helpful anyway: https://www.wm.edu/offices/residencelife/oncampus/openclose/movingin/directions/index.php
  • SavannahKSavannahK Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    I'm transferring to W&M in the fall as a junior and planning on majoring in Kinesiology/Health Sciences. I'm hoping to graduate in 2 more years and I made a preliminary schedule but it looks like I'm going to be pretty busy. How many units do most students take per semester? And does this leave time for doing research/internships/etc. during the school year?
  • TTGTTG Registered User Posts: 1,367 Senior Member
    A "standard" schedule would be 5 3-credit classes, so 15 total, which is what an incoming freshman would need to average to graduate in 8 semesters. Some classes are 4-credit; some are 1-credit. I know a student who took 4 classes last semester that totaled to 15 credits (3 were 4-credit classes).

Anything in the 14-16 credits range would be a "normal" semester schedule. Under 14 is light, though of course that might perfectly suit a student in any given semester. Anything over 16 would be a heavy credit load, though of course a 17-18 hour load might be necessary or desirable in a given semester. I believe permission is required to go over 18.

In the 14-16 credits per semester range, you should be fine to work in a lab and have some other ECs. That student I referenced taking 4 classes and 15 hours also worked in a lab and was fairly active with 2 ECs. They also had a lot of things to manage in terms of summer and fall employment and another outside school program. They had time on weekends but also good time management skills, which is really the key. Be self aware and think about how you manage your time and whether or not you should take on a lot or be a little more moderate in what you attempt. With many ECs, you can just back off if you are feeling overwhelmed by your schedule. Good luck and enjoy William and Mary!
  • s42mahons42mahon Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    My daughter will be an OOS freshman this fall. She is very excited about WM, but how is Greek life? Can this be an issue if you rush for a sorority and do not get in?? My daughter literally knows noone going to WM and is from NYS, which is not heavily represented.
  • SavannahKSavannahK Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Thank you! Another question: do students at W&M often have difficulty getting into the classes they want to take? I will mostly be taking upper division classes since I'm entering as a junior and I'm concerned that my timeline could be set back if the classes I need fill up, especially since many are only offered once a year.
    edited May 22
    @s42mahon, Greek life is pretty moderate at William and Mary, big enough to be something if a student wants it as part of their social life, but not a dominant part of social life overall. Sorority Court is a nice area. Many students are Greek, many are not. Truly, no need to worry about being OOS in terms of rush (or otherwise). It's not like their are deep high school networks that influence the process. I think that can happen at schools, but my experience is that WM students are very much on an even footing going through rush. I think, in the end, the process works out well for the vast majority of students. No guarantees, and obviously there will be disappointments, but nothing to be concerned about.

Freshman social life, whether students go Greek or not, tends to focus on freshmen halls. It's interesting. I know two other schools well where freshmen live in a single complex of dorms. At William and Mary, freshmen dorms are pretty spread out around campus. I think this encourages friendships within dorms, though different students obviously have different experiences.
    @SavannahK, the school does open places specifically for transfer students. Otherwise, it would be very hard to get classes. It varies, but I saw a transfer student go through the process last year, and they had no trouble getting classes, although, obviously, I can't say for sure about any particular classes, and I'd expect it to vary by department. But transfer students do have spots reserved for them.
    DROP OFF: It's a two day thing, but the second day seems a lot like accepted student days with a lot of break out sessions for "rookie" parents, i.e. first time to drop a kid at college. I am good with my 3rd child's wellness, abating homesickness, etc. and want skip day 2, but I don't want to be the only parent not there. Is it a thing? Do I need to stay? WILL OTHER TRIBE MOMS JUDGE ME?? JK, I don't really worry about this last question, but we do live very far away and need to get back.
    My third went off to college in a recent year. I know the feeling. Yes, if your kid is cool with it, and they might well be really cool with it. It's useful for first-time parents or those who feel like they want to learn some more things about the school, and the school does a great job. But if you are good, then you are good. I promise I won't judge! Just make sure you grab a Cheese Shop sandwich before you head out, otherwise I might have to just a little bit. :)
  • shawnspencershawnspencer Registered User Posts: 3,086 Senior Member
    @mom9955 Your post made me laugh for quite a bit. I think it should be perfectly fine, especially if you have been through something similar before. Most of the parent orientation is just talking about all the resources that they have on campus to support the students and reassuring you that "Your kid is going to be okay!" Your student will probably go through a similar thing, so it's more important that they are there for the orientation. I'm currently at an orientation for my younger brother who goes one of those weird schools that have it in the middle of the summer, and my parents are definitely playing hooky halfway through ;)
  • prodesseprodesse Registered User Posts: 1,280 Senior Member
    W&M seems to be very generous with AP credits. Do many students make use of them to graduate in three years, or are they more likely to double-major or study abroad more than once?
  • shawnspencershawnspencer Registered User Posts: 3,086 Senior Member
    edited July 13
    @prodesse Students tend to do all three, so all of the above! I would say double majoring is the most common, followed by graduating early, and then studying abroad more than once. This is also based off personal experiences with friends and I don't have the official statistics in front of me, but the last two could easily be switched.

I do have some truly adventurous friends that have spent more than three semesters abroad, so it is definitely possible. One of my friends spent three semesters abroad AND graduated a semester early (to this day I wonder how...) William & Mary really encourages students to study abroad and many opportunities are built into the new college curriculum. It has the highest study abroad rate out of all the public universities in the country, which means just over half of all students study abroad during their four years.

It also depends how you define study abroad. A student may go abroad for one of their courses, like I have friends who went on a geology research trip to the Bahamas and others who went to Cuba for one of their courses. The William & Mary Semester in DC and the Summer Institute is becoming more popular, so a student may study abroad a semester then later decide to take classes and do internships in DC in a different one. They recently offered an interesting new leadership course co-taught by William & Mary alum and former FBI director James Comey and William & Mary has many alumni willing to help students get internships in the DC area.

Many students do end up using the AP credits because there is no really good reason not to. Some science students like to take introductory course over again as a refresher before moving to upper-level courses. Most students just apply the credits to exempt them from the introductory courses. The good thing is that some courses like AP Psych and AP U.S. History grant you double the amount of credits because they can cover the same amount of content as two semester courses.

From my personal experience, coming in with AP credits was helpful because it allowed me to really explore interesting courses outside of my major or get really involved in the community without spending as much time in introductory courses. There are still a number of students that don't come in with credits though that are still able to do things, but coming in with the credits definitely come in handy.

So to answer your original question: YES. William & Mary students do take advantage of the credits they earned in high school. I am endlessly surprised in all the creative ways that students spend their time here.
    @TTG I can't fathom missing a Cheese Shop sandwich, especially since my husband has never even been to Williamsburg!