right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Replies to: Sadly, this is not a good look for William and Mary......

• happy1happy1 22858 replies2248 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    But of course one should never judge an entire college based on the actions of a few.
    · Reply · Share
  • tutumom2001tutumom2001 1216 replies3 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not going to condone it for sure, but this is on every college (and even high school) campus. I don't think people getting caught negatively reflects on the college in relation to any and every other college out there.
    · Reply · Share
  • lastone03lastone03 941 replies11 threadsRegistered User Member
    Just really sad that it also involved a professor. This is a cautionary tale for all of those seeking to find a non-party school. They really don't exist. This happens everywhere - even at the supposed intellectual elites.
    · Reply · Share
  • CharlieschCharliesch 2046 replies70 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited April 2018
    That Steely Dan song was about a drug bust at Bard College when one of the leaders of the band was a student., and his girlfriend's dad had to bail her out of jail.

edited April 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • momofthree55momofthree55 201 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    As disturbing as the drugs, the investigation started because they felt that drug usage was causing a large number of unreported sexual assaults on campus.
    · Reply · Share
  • lastone03lastone03 941 replies11 threadsRegistered User Member
    @momofthree55 - agree. Really awful.
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14738 replies985 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    In 2010 there was a similar bust at Columbia University:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/columbia-university-drug-bust-stuns-prestigious-campus
    No professor was involved though.

I remember one busted student's wealthy parents refused to post bail. The kid went on a rant to the media blaming his upbringing for his drug use.
    · Reply · Share
  • madgemini4madgemini4 167 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @momfromLI and @Charliesch -- before I learned that "My Old School" was about Bard, I mistakenly thought that William and Mary was in Annandale, VA! ("That'll be the day I go back to Annandale...")

And yes, I too always have that lyric in my head whenever I hear "William and Mary".
    · Reply · Share
  • IzzoOneIzzoOne 475 replies0 threadsRegistered User Member
    I think when Steely Dan was asked about why they used "William & Mary" they said it had the right type and number of syllables. And if you try out other names in your head, you can see why.
    · Reply · Share
  • VAMom23VAMom23 446 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    This is a regular occurrence at college campuses across the country. And high school too for that matter. It is good to see that enforcement was taken seriously.
    · Reply · Share
  • BobcatPhoenixBobcatPhoenix 141 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    OT, but “Daddy G” from the song is G. Gordon Liddy!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity