Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Chances for a male OOS from california?

ADHDFTLADHDFTL Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
edited January 2010 in College of William and Mary
White
Male
California
Average high school, short on funds though so we canceled some AP classes like computer science and students have trouble getting into AP classes (often offered 1x a year with 50+ students)
Note: High school uses quarter system meaning 4 periods of normal year long classes for a semester followed by another 4 periods of year long classes. So we do 8 courses instead of 6 which deflates the boost AP classes give.
SAT 1st:
M:760
CR:740
W:590
SAT 2nd:
M:710
CR:740
W:640 total, 670MC 7 essay ( couldn't finish because I write slow with crappy pencils =( )
SAT II: Fire alarm went off during testing for 5 min which didn't exactly improve my concentration ;)
Literature: 690
Molecular Biology: 710

GPA: 3.9 UW 4.1W (next quarter likely 4.15-4.2W)
School does not rank.
Class difficulty: I have taken every academic non-honors course available but I am somewhat lacking with APs and HP classes. By graduation I will have taken 7 AP and 3 honors courses so it's not horrible.
My junior year's GPA is a 4.25 (1 B/15A, 4 AP semesters). I learned the hard way that at my school you need to sign up for 3 more AP classes than you want to take. At least I got into more senior year but our class sizes are reaching 50+ so it's hard to get into classes now. ( AP comparative politics canceled, AP Computer Science not offered, fewer times mandatory classes are offered and scheduling conflicts prevented me from taking AP psychology etc.)
Senior year:
AP European History A/?
Psychology A/?
AP Economics micro A
AP Biology A/?
AP Government ?/?
AP Environmental Science ?/?
Pre-Calc HP ( school wouldn't let me test out of geometry/Alg2 freshmen year lol ) ?/?
Drawing and design ( required to graduate =[ ) ?/?
English 12 ( First non-AP/honors english but the english teacher for 9th and 12th grade ap/honors is mean spirited) ?/?
As you can see I got all A's for the first quarter in senior year so I have a 4.75.

My EC/miscellaneous :
Top .5% in Folding @ home project (philanthropic effort to cure diseases by using distributed computing)
President/Founder of Computer Science Club
Vice President of Apples to Apples Club
I lift weights (10 hours a week as a junior, had to reduce to 2 in senior due to busy schedule)
Computer technician worked for pay and for free. Built 10 computers starting in 7th grade from budget to $2,500 workstation, helped teachers out outside and inside of school.
National honors society - didn't put on application since I haven't had enough time to really do more than go to meetings.
I had the highest score on my Physics teacher's final so my letter of recommendation should be good. He's a bit absent minded but I think he sent it in. /crosses fingers

By graduation I will have taken 3 honors classes and 7 AP classes I don't think this places me near the top, but I don’t think I'm at the bottom.

Shorter version:
4.25 GPA junior year, upward swing with 5 APs and 1 honors class being taken senior year.
1500/1600 SAT, 2140 superscored =/
Total W GPA: 4.1
Good teacher rec
I've only applied to William and Mary and Rice (safeties are in the UC system) after researching for 100+ hours. I really do feel they offer something more than a typical large research university. However, since I am not taking the “shotgun” approach to college applications the ~20-30% acceptance rates are quite daunting. What would you estimate my chances as?
Post edited by ADHDFTL on

Replies to: Chances for a male OOS from california?

• W&M AdmissionW&M Admission College Rep Posts: 2,321 Senior Member
    Unfortunately we can't really gauge your chances for admission until we receive and review a completed application but it sounds like your program, grades, and standardized testing are all well within or above the W&M academic profile. It also sounds like you've been very involved outside of the classroom so you're a competitive applicant who W&M would want in its pool. You're right in that W&M only admits about 26-28% of out-of-state students but that's at least not super scary right? You were right to apply to W&M based on the stats you supplied and good luck!
  • ADHDFTLADHDFTL Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    Thanks for replying, it's rare that a college will post on CC. Waiting until April is going to drive me crazy but I'll manage =). I also love those emails, most colleges have a generic "We appreciate your interest in the ______ major." I cracked a smile when I read "We've received your application and wanted to compliment you on the high caliber of coolness you've exhibited by applying to W&M."
  • Here_to_HelpHere_to_Help Registered User Posts: 734 Member
    You have great SATs, but your in-school academic profile seems to be less so, but I think your recent improvements will serve you well - make sure W&M sees your first semester grades! The Comp Sci club may also help as well. I'd deem you somewhere between likely and a match, for whatever my opinion counts. Good luck and let us know! I think your research led you to some great schools and I hope you get in!
This discussion has been closed.