Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

OOS Male Chances

Collins22Collins22 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
edited January 2010 in College of William and Mary
Stats;
UW GPA: 3.67
W GPA: 4.0
Rigor of schedule: Most difficult my school offers. Eight AP's total, including five this year. AP Calc AB, AP Chem, AP Lit. and Comp., AP Macro Econ, and AP US Gov.

ACT: 32

EC's:
Youth Group-extremely active member compiling more than 400 community service hours. I have taken multiple service project trips with youth group as well as volunteering at a local soup kitchen.
Boy Scouts-I am an Eagle Scout and had to complete my own project with fundraising and coordinating it and everything. I have also helped other boy scouts out with their projects. Around 200 Hours of community service.
NHS-I am an NHS officer this year and have done service work with my NHS chapter through Habitat for Humanity.
Varsity Track-I am a member of my school's track team (11th, 12th). Last year i received an award from the coaches and was named best male sprinter.
Prom Committee-In my junior year I participated on the prom committee. We had weekly meetings and planned, fundraised for, and set up for my school's prom.
Varsity Football-(10th, 11th)
Student Government- I am my school's senior class vice president.

Awards:
AP Scholar (World H-3, APUSH-4, AP Lang-4)
First and Second Honors at my school
National Honors Society
Spanish National Honors Society
Service Award (for the completion of more than 100 community service hours in a school year.

Essays:
Common App: My essay was a narrative about a service project i did in Orlando over the summer where i interviewed homeless people so they could get identification cards. I talked about how it opened my eyes to so much that i would have never experienced.
WnM Supplement: I created a video in response to the optional submission. The video talked about me and the different aspects of my life. Everyone who saw it was extremely impressed. I think it is going to be a huge help for admission.

Rec's:
Counselor: I am not sure to be honest. He is a great writer and likes me well enough, but I am not sure it will be moving. He should be impressed with my motivation and determination as a student.
Teacher: My APUSH teacher is writing it and he will write me an AMAZING recommendation. I made amazing progress in his class and he writes great letters.

I am applying to WnM because a friend who was accepted ED suggested it strongly and seemed extremely into it. I figured it wouldn't hurt to apply.

Thanks
Post edited by Collins22 on

Replies to: OOS Male Chances

• HelveticaHelvetica Registered User Posts: 336 Member
    Obviously, the rank and gpa are not all that flattering. HOWEVER, I think your supplement, ACT, and hard course load could really benefit you. I think you should get in. Best of luck!
  • W&M AdmissionW&M Admission College Rep Posts: 2,321 Senior Member
    "I am applying to WnM because a friend who was accepted ED suggested it strongly and seemed extremely into it. I figured it wouldn't hurt to apply." -- That's a great attitude and what selective admission is all about. Because W&M has no minimum criteria, anyone who's interested should apply and receives due consideration. Keep in mind profiles are only norms. So while 80% of those admitted graduate in the top 10%, a full fifth of those admitted do not. Sounds like you still have some great qualities to offer. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.