Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

W&M reputation

SAT=MyKryptoniteSAT=MyKryptonite Registered User Posts: 248 Junior Member
How is W&M's reputation in the business world. DO recruiters come onto campus and what is the placement for MBA's
Post edited by SAT=MyKryptonite on

Replies to: W&M reputation

• J.WangJ.Wang Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    bump~! i need some info on this too, thx
  • BjcdbBjcdb Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    Here's an example:

William and Mary is one of the most represented schools at the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College, the number 1 ranked MBA worldwide by The Economist-The New York Times and The Financial Times.

Again, with MBA's it is expected that you take at least 4 years off for work experience prior to pursuing an MBA
  • J.WangJ.Wang Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    "Again, with MBA's it is expected that you take at least 4 years off for work experience prior to pursuing an MBA"

I'm sorry, could you reword this...?

Appreciated, thx 4 the reply
  • cavalier302cavalier302 Registered User Posts: 4,343 Senior Member
    W&M has a great reputation with people who matter. It's an excellent school. I'd imagine that its graduates do well in MBA admissions, although not as much as a result of having the W&M name on their degree, but of being intelligent and hard-working. Most competitive applicants to good MBA programs have several years of work experience, and it is that work experience that will make or break them in admissions. You will not apply directly to schools like Wharton or HBS straight out of ugrad unless you have a very solid background running a business while in college.

On a side note, I wouldn't go into college with the goal of getting a job in business and eventually getting an MBA. Keep an open mind and explore the vast array of truly intellectual offerings that a school like w&m has. Try to find legitimate academic interests before selling yourself off to the highest bidder when it comes to finding a job.
  • BjcdbBjcdb Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    Basically you need work experience prior to gaining admission to a business school...I believe 99% of Dartmouth's incoming class had prior FULL-TIME work experience, as in they had been working since graduating from undergrad
  • macsuilemacsuile Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    W&M is heavily represented at Deutsche, Lehman and JP Morgan. They also have amazing placement statistics at Booz Allen and the Big 5.
  • wmalum2006wmalum2006 Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    If you're talking about W&M MBA students, the grad business school is a joke! It barely got ranked this year, and wasn't ranked before then or the year before! The undergrad students are even smarter and can do the MBA assignments better than the MBA students which I find pretty sad. This is what I have heard from many BBA students I know.

But if you're talking about W&M undergrads getting into MBA AFTER HAVING WORK EXPERIENCE, then you're all straight. W&M is academic boot camp man!
  • macsuilemacsuile Registered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    I am taking about W&M BBAs although the MBA program was recently ranked 23rd by Forbes Magazine and 29th by The Financial Times. The MBA program is highly challenging and very quantitative but doesn't get a fair shake in the business media due to its size. That should change with the new $50 million b-school building.
This discussion has been closed.