Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

School is starting -- any thing newbies need to know?

msteemstee Registered User Posts: 3,132 Senior Member
edited August 2007 in College of Wooster
Well, the time has finally come. I'll be flying to Ohio with my daughter and helping her get settled in at The College of Wooster in just a few days. Anything we should know? Such an exciting time in her life!
Post edited by mstee on

Replies to: School is starting -- any thing newbies need to know?

• HindooHindoo Registered User Posts: 5,849 Senior Member
    I'm taking my daughter to Wooster on Saturday (the 18th) because of soccer training. She'll be a sophomore. ... I hope your daughter's experience there will be as positive as my daughter's has been so far. Wooster will not only educate her well, but will take good care of her as she enters young adulthood so far from home. Tell her to really get to know her professors. My daughter's profs have been there for her all the way. They're a great group of smart, caring people, and they can (and do) open a lot of doors for their students in terms of campus opportunities, internships, honors, study abroad support, etc. Best of luck!
  • msteemstee Registered User Posts: 3,132 Senior Member
    Thank you Hindoo, I'll pass that advice on to my daughter. Great to hear about such a positive experience!
    One thing we haven't got around to doing is buying sheets. Should we buy extra long twin size sheets in Cleveland? I was planning to wait until we got to Ohio to get bedding, since we will be flying there, not enough room in the suitcases.
    mstee--You can probably buy extra-long sheets at the Wal Mart in Wooster. Unfortunately, there's no Target there--yet.
    Thanks Hindoo. We'll be in Cleveland for a day before move in, so we'll do some shopping there. I think I remember a Target there, close to the airport.
  • buckeyemom2buckeyemom2 Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Be prepared to enjoy bagpipes. =)

Seriously, though, my D has a friend that goes to College of Wooster & he loves it. She visited him last year and really liked the campus and students. Good luck!
    Ha ha. I think I have heard bag pipes live once in my life, at a wedding. I don't think my daughter ever has heard them. Well, looks like that is about to change!
    The bagpipes are wonderful ... unless you have to listen to them up close and personal, while you're trying to eat dinner. We went to a function at Wooster last year where they served a lovely dinner in Kittredge Hall. While eating, we were "serenaded" by five or six bagpipers, who stood about ten feet away from us. When all was said and done, I'd lost a significant percentage of my hearing capabilities--it was like sitting front row at an Aerosmith concert!
  • OldinJerseyOldinJersey Registered User Posts: 526 Member
    I love bagpipes. I have encouraged dd to learn them while at wooster. I have tried to get one of the kids to take them up, with no luck yet. We're in Essex County NJ, which is still full of people of Irish decent. We paint a green stripe down main street for our big parade. The scots decent are/were in Kearny NJ, where you can still get fish and chips. mmm. Of course now you can also get burritos, pad thai, curry or jerked chicken.
    Well, I'm back. The bagpipers were there, welcoming the new students. They led a parade of freshmen through the arch. A wonderful welcome!
    Bagpipers in the great outdoors are a wonderful thing. Indoors and right next to your dinner table ... not so much!
    From a distance, it seems very cool. With luck, I'll be able to avoid the up close and personal bagpiping.

I want to go back and visit things in the area not related to the college. It is a very pretty area, at least in the summer. And a friend who lives nearby tells me that fall is amazing there.
    Northern Ohio is lovely in the spring and fall, as well as summer. Winter ... not so much. One thing that struck me on my early trips up there was the Amish presence--they're everywhere in and around Wooster with their horse and buggies.
    I noticed quite a few Amish (and Mennonites) shopping at Walmart in Wooster.

Yes, think I'll try to skip the Ohio winters and visit at warmer times. Better for driving, sightseeing.
    I've also seen plenty of Amish at Wal Mart in Wooster. I don't see horse and buggies parked outside, so I assume they must relent and ride in cars to get there. My daughter says she's seen some Amish driving cars as well as carts. It's an interesting culture.
This discussion has been closed.