Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Who is applying EA, ED 2012-???

1121314151618»

Replies to: Who is applying EA, ED 2012-???

• LionellLionell Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Does anyone know when CC sends out notification of merit scholarships?
  • 07DAD07DAD Registered User Posts: 5,169 Senior Member
    My son talked to his regional admissions employee in January 2007 after he got accepted EA in December. That year the scholars Day was in March and the decision came a couple of weeks later
  • baseballmombaseballmom Registered User Posts: 1,610 Senior Member
    No more lurking for me. Son applied ED2 yesterday, so the big wait begins. He needed to complete all of his other apps as well, so if he's not accepted, at least he won't have to fill out additional apps.

I'm curious if most of those accepted EA and ED1 visited campus. Please share!
  • cogitocoffeecogitocoffee Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Julia22rose: I've been told that CC puts huge emphasis on campus visits and interviews. The more interest you show admissions, the better. I did three "interviews" (technically two because they only allow one per student/admission term so the third was a slightly awkward update chat)--first in San Diego, second on campus while taking summer course as a visiting student, and third chat when I went BACK to the Springs for another official visit in November. While my parents were aghast at my personal spending for the trip (they couldn't comprehend why I needed to go back), I was confident the journey was vital. Also, I was told by a CC professor that my making the additional could make all the difference.

Anyway: I was accepted as winter start transfer. I'm convinced that my obsessive interest (I also was crazy about emailing thanks/questions/etc and managed to get printed in three various CC zines) truly did give me the final push. For the record: I'm transferring in from an underwhelming 22 semester units of community college and never received a high school diploma (my college GPA was a 3.8 and the two years of high school I DID complete was a 3.4--I passed out with California HS Prof Exam).

The point I'm trying to make is that YES, I do believe campus visits/interviews are highly taken into consideration at CC (and can be so so so helpful) and that, also, admissions truly does look at each student from a unique "holistic" standpoint. I was weirdo applicant, very low shot, but I made it happen by focusing taking classes during the summer as a visitor (and doing well in those classes), and focusing on my writing, travels, and passion for academia in my essay.

It is never too late to visit! Plus, Colorado is a fabulous get away spot college visit or not :)
  • pacnwmomof2pacnwmomof2 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    Lionell: My son received a Leadership scholarship award with his acceptance packet. I don't know if that's how they do most of their notification on scholarships or not. There are a couple of other scholarships that you apply for separately and those have later notification dates.

baseballmom: My son applied EA and did not visit campus. He contacted the school for information, but that was it. I was hoping he could do an off-campus interview about three hours away from where we live, but that didn't work out either.

It may not have mattered as much for him because he was a very strong candidate academically and his essays were kind of fun and different. His ECs and volunteer time are very average, so I don't think that aspect of his application helped him much.
  • sourpatchkid3sourpatchkid3 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    baseballmom: I was accepted Early Action...I am from NJ and had an off-campus interview with my admissions counselor near me. I haven't visited campus yet but plan to go to one of the open houses in April.
  • baseballmombaseballmom Registered User Posts: 1,610 Senior Member
    Thanks for the visit feedback. We visited last summer, so I was trying to gauge whether or not that might give the app a boost.
This discussion has been closed.