Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Who is applying EA, ED 2012-???

Replies to: Who is applying EA, ED 2012-???

• txcaroltxcarol Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    5boys. an early word on majors for med school aps. son is a senior at CC (bio-chem) applying to med school. while "technically" you can major in anything and apply there is a LONG list of required classes to do so. we are currently caught in a requirement for statistics (even though he has 2 college level calc classes) with no room to put that. son will need to be keeping this in mind from day one no matter which school he chooses to assure that all requirements are met.
  • 5boys5boys Registered User Posts: 1,775 Senior Member
    Thanks txcarol! Yes, he is aware of the pre-med requirements that he will have to take wherever he goes. It is weird that I have never seen Statistics as one of the requirements though.. is this new? I have only seen the standard, Bio, Chem, Orgo Chem, Physics, and Calculus.. do they recommend Statistics just for the MCAT's? Just curious. One of the good things about CC is that you can always do some of those classes in one of the summer blocks, which is a way to squeeze them in if you are not majoring in Biology or Chem. I think ES does share some of those required Med School Science classes, so that will be good. I'm sure he will do Calc his first year to get it out of the way, as he is not enamored with math. Our tour guide was Pre-Med and he hates Physics, so wa going to take it after he graduated as he hasn't taken the MCAT's yet.
  • sunmachinesunmachine Registered User Posts: 824 Member
    For what it's worth, I was just looking at Carleton's list of recommended pre-med classes. The list includes statistics, with a note that some, but not all, med schools require a class in statistics. Statistics is not included on the part of the list that pertains to MCAT preparation, though.
  • skier29skier29 Registered User Posts: 397 Member
    Son At CC is unsure of major. Taking alot of math so far. I have been joking that this is his "ology" year of exploration: Biology, geology, sociology. anthropology, psychology with a bit of calculus and linear algebra for good measure. He will have to decide soon but feeling good that he has his required courses done and is getting a great overall education so far.
    yes, statistics seems relatively new. here in texas it has been creeping in over the past three years with most all schools mandatory this year. it is replacing the requirement at some schools for calculus which for the most part is no longer required -- go figure (LOL). i had to shake my head that two levels of college calc would not replace statistics.
    and ps 5Boys - my son would be one of those students yelling to your son across campus "GO HERE". and i would be one of those moms that will tell you that CC has been absoloutely AWESOME. my son also got into colgate - decided easily on CC and has NEVER looked back. if it is a FIT - nowhere on earth is quite like the cc experience - a "unique intellectual adventure" - indeed.
    txcarol... we did actually have students yell at my S to " go to CC, you will LOVE it". My S said the one thing that stood out to him the most about CC was that everyone he had contact with on his visit was SO thrilled about being at CC. He didn't have 1 student tell him anything negative about it. He thought that was very impressive. He also felt that everyone was so friendly and welcoming to him as a "prospie" I think that this sort of feeling of the fit is 99% of happiness in college. I absolutely know he would be very happy there. Keep your fingers crossed for Dec.
  • 07DAD07DAD Registered User Posts: 5,169 Senior Member
    If it makes any real difference in the student's decision on whether he or she would like CC, CC is user-friendly to the (reasonable) parent. On the 3 or 4 ocassions that I needed a question answered, CC was timely in responding and thorough in the response. One issue related to campus security and whether my S realized it, talking to the head policeman on campus avoided me pressuring S for information.

I also was impressed with what I view as flexibility. My S's senior thesis advisor in Mathematical Economics got him a grant from CC that enabled him to stay in Colorado Springs for a month after graduation and edit his thesis for submission for possible publication.

One of his professors in his other major was his connection for a 2 month free residence in Taipei at a national artisit village for the two months after editing the thesis. This opportunity to have the residence came right before Winter Break his senior year. Because of the block system, he was able to change his foreign language from Spanish to Mandrain and get the 2 blocks in.

CC was a great while S was there and has continued to be super to him after graduation.
  • JustJentacularJustJentacular Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Hi all! I'm a senior applying to CC this year. It's a fantastic fit for me, I think, and I'm going for early action. I was wondering if anyone had advice for the interview? I have one scheduled in Chicago on Saturday and I'm quite nervous...does anyone know what kinds of questions they might ask? Any curveballs (e.g. if you were a sandwich, what kind would you be) or just straightforward questions about your grades and activities?
  • skier29skier29 Registered User Posts: 397 Member
    My son is currently a sophomore at CC. Easiest of all his interviews. It was not a stresssful one at all. Just a conversation. Yeah they asked about his transcript - what class did you like most etc. Why CC? Nothing to "catch" you. It was a make sure you know what your getting into type thing.
    Best of luck. Relax, be yourself.
    My S is also applying EA to CC and he had an interview on campus last week. He said it was great and VERY casual. They just chatted about some of his EC's and his semester on an organic farm in VT that his admissions rep knew about. I think they also talked about why CC would be a good fit. I'm sure my S had A LOT to say about that. Ditto waht skier said.... just be yourself.
  • hellUVAchancehellUVAchance Registered User Posts: 398 Member
    I think I'm applying EA. I just started considering Colorado College today just in time for the EA deadline :-)
  • cwinchecwinche Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    I sent in my early action app. Fingers crossed! How much does being a double legacy help? any?
  • swimming08swimming08 Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    Being a legacy helps, if you apply early. Siblings are common at CC so having a sibling who attends CC also appears to give an applicant a slight advantage.
  • eehlaunaeehlauna Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    Hi to all,
    I am applying too! Will submit my application tonight. I am an international applying for aid. So, yeah, fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.