Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transferring from GS to CC

ThatguyatthebackThatguyattheback Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
Hi CCers

I am contemplating applying to Columbia GS as a juniour and was wondering if it would be possible to transfer into Columbia CC from GS as a Juniour. I have scoured the website and seen some things about intercollege transfer at Columbia and was just wondering if it would be feasible to have an intercollege transfer as a juniour. I am 18 by the way and am a nontraditional student.

Thank You :)
Post edited by Thatguyattheback on

Replies to: Transferring from GS to CC

• ThatguyatthebackThatguyattheback Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Bump bump ...?
  • tsar10027tsar10027 Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    Seeing that GS and CC are, academically speaking, the same thing (very simmer GS/CC core, same majors...) your going to have a very compelling reason to transfer from GS to CC. I honestly can't think of one legitimate reason that the CC adcoms would accept a GS transfer. All the academic classes/resources available to CC people are also available to GS people. What would a GS transfer write on her or his essay (reason for wanting to transfer): "ugh CC is slinger more prestigious."
  • MusaeumClausumMusaeumClausum Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Agreed w/Tsar. What academic reason could you possibly have for needing to make that transfer? And FYI, the policy is as follows:

"Transfer applications from GS to Columbia College, SEAS, or the Joint Program with JTS will not be considered by those schools without a written endorsement from the GS Dean of Students. Endorsements are limited to those students in good standing who have sound academic reasons for seeking to transfer from GS."

(source: Transfers Within Columbia | General Studies)
  • baxter2211baxter2211 Registered User Posts: 234 Junior Member
    Only reason I can think of is that you really want to switch to say an engineering major
  • tsar10027tsar10027 Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    That would necessitate a GS to SEAS transfer, which occurs every-so-often. A GS to CC transfer would be, in the eyes of the Columbia brass, academically pointless. There have been cases of a CC to GS transfer, as GS allows students to attend part-time (which is a legitimate reason to transfer)
  • hellojanhellojan Registered User Posts: 1,632 Senior Member
    Speaking if nonsense, how about that royal wedding?

Just kidding, OP. Listen, it's going to be really, really tough to get approval from your administrators. GS and CC are so close in requirements, majors, etc., that I can't think of a way that you'd even begin to do it.

We recently had a kid come in as a non-traditional 18 year old and he went on to Yale Law. He's still a big advocate of GS and his is a case that shows how well our school caters to all ages.
  • ComaPrisonComaPrison Registered User Posts: 348 Member
    I don't see a GS=>CC transfer happening for you, but a GS=>SEAS one is possible in the sense that you could argue that your interest/passion is in one of the engineering majors. From what I've seen, I think the SEAS students have it much harder than even the CC/GS students majoring in hard sciences like physics, bio, chem, etc. so I wouldn't pursue this path unless you're serious about engineering.
This discussion has been closed.