Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

3-2 program or Straight to PhD?

ThatguyatthebackThatguyattheback Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
Hello all,

I am trying to pick between doing the 3-2 program if i get into GS or just do my BA in Computer Science and go straight on to Grad School (Maybe MIT?) and get my PhD. What would you recommend? Also, I sort of have an interest in double majoring with French and Francophone studies, but I will definitely forego the French if the 3-2 program would be my best bet. I have an interest in Electrical Engineering as well as Computer Science and am just wondering whether it would be better to do the 3-2 program and go to Grad School or just move on to grad school and take EE classes along with my CS courses.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

thank you :)
Post edited by Thatguyattheback on

Replies to: 3-2 program or Straight to PhD?

• campaignercampaigner Registered User Posts: 342 Member
    I don't see why you'd bother with the 3-2 program, personally. If you have a degree from Columbia University in Computer Science, why do you need two? Will that really substantially improve your application to grad school?

If you can't get into SEAS directly, the 3-2 program makes sense. You spend a few years at a school that's easier to get into, then when you're a bit more prepared you transfer to Columbia SEAS and get the name and great senior work.
  • ThatguyatthebackThatguyattheback Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Thank you for your input
    I'm not applying to get 2 CS degrees. If I do the 3-2 program then I'll get a BsC in Electrical Engineering simultaneously with a BA in Computer Science. I'm not considering it to increase my chances of getting into grad school either, I want to know if I'll get more knowledge from the 3-2 program about EE as opposed to going to grad school and pursuing my PhD and taking EE courses along the way
This discussion has been closed.