right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Being a Navy Veteran, do I have a good shot at being accepted into Columbia?

saubesassaubesas 1 replies4 threadsRegistered User New Member
I currently have a 3.45 GPA. I attended University of Michigan-Dearborn last year and received a 3.2 GPA. I took some difficult classes including economics, political analysis, and sociology. Afterwards, I took summer classes at a community college (bio, environmental science, stats, composition) and received a 4.0 GPA. During my time in the Navy, I was stationed in Japan and had the opportunity to experience many different cultures. I traveled all over Asia and Australia. I am working with a wonderful program, which is known as "service 2 school", to assist me with my essays and overall application. Do I have a good shot at being admitted to this elite institution, given my veteran status?

edited August 23
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Being a Navy Veteran, do I have a good shot at being accepted into Columbia?

• CU123CU123 3591 replies68 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    No, not really, and do you really want to attend a school where most students would have a 4.0 at UM-D? Veterans will get a preference as a non traditional student but most are coming from community colleges and have shown a strong academic aptitude. They can see that you are already attending a 4 yr school and really don't have a solid reason to transfer. Still if you don't try it, you have zero chance, so go for it.
    · Reply · Share
  • NASA2014NASA2014 2332 replies129 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Most veterans start at a CC then they transfer to a four year. I would suggest this route.
    · Reply · Share
  • brettm17brettm17 25 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    You have a great shot. Veteran status gives you a giant boost to admissions. 3.4 is good enough for a veteran. Read the past forum threads.
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14745 replies986 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you had trouble with courses at Michigan-Dearborn do you really feel that you could handle a Columbia workload?
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6727 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You are getting some very mixed messages, but @CU123 and @TomSrOfBoston have a long history of sensible and helpful posts- and I agree with them. A lot of times people focus on the 'can I get in' and less on the 'will it be a good place for me'. You did not shine academically at UMi-D- and with respect, Intro Sociology is rarely considered a difficult class.

If that year at UMi had been done before your military service it would be less of an issue: the supposition would be that 18 y/o pre-service you was less mature than 18 + X y/o post-service you. That maturing and corresponding self-discipline is a big part of why post-service applicants with (pre-service) lower GPAs are disproportionately successful in college applications (which I think may be a part of the more optimistic posts above).

All transfer students at Columbia start with a disadvantage: they have less time to complete the Core along with their major requirements. So, there is little room for maneuver- you will have a heavy course load every term, with a peer group that is accustomed to working at a higher and more intense level. If you found your courses at Dearborn to be difficult, wait until you hit Literature Humanities or Music Humanities (2 of the required Core classes) at Columbia.

And, I read your other threads. For me, a student explaining disappointing grades by blaming 2 profs for 'screwing them over' is a red flag. Yes, it does happen- but it is pretty uncommon, and to happen twice in one year, with different profs, would be extraordinary. Most of the times that I hear students complain that they have been 'screwed over' boil down to a prof rigidly enforcing a stated policy that the student (often accidentally or unwittingly) fell afoul of. In which case, the mature thing is for the student to own their part in it, even while feeling hard done by.
    · Reply · Share