Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is a high school GPA of 94 competitive enough for Columbia?

elnamoelnamo Registered User Posts: 680 Member
edited February 2012 in Columbia University
Is a high school GPA of 94 competitive enough for Columbia?
Post edited by elnamo on

Replies to: Is a high school GPA of 94 competitive enough for Columbia?

• hobbesettehobbesette Registered User Posts: 151 Junior Member
    What does that translate to on a 4.0 scale?
  • MarlonBrandoMarlonBrando Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    It's fine. I had a 93 UW and got in. It won't keep you out but it wont guarantee you a spot.
  • xquiksilverxxquiksilverx Registered User Posts: 463 Member
    If I'm correct in assuming that a 94 is equivalent to a 3.76 on a 4.0 scale, then it's quite on the low side for Columbia. As Marlon pointed out, it isn't an automatic rejection by any means, but you'll have to be stellar in all other areas to have a great chance.
  • highlyedumacatedhighlyedumacated Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    There are so many other factors involved in admission to Columbia or any other top college. Consider the rigor of your curriculum, the prestige of your high school, your (I hate this term) "extracurricular activities," and your less tangible (but equally important) personal qualities.

If the adequacy of your GPA still concerns you, ask your guidance counselor about it. I know my school documents the colleges kids matriculated to and the GPA's they carried when they were accepted.
  • elnamoelnamo Registered User Posts: 680 Member
    Ok thank u
  • frosty7frosty7 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    If the information my high school told me is correct, a 94% is a 4.0.

According to them:
    A+ (97.5 -100+% ): 4.3
    A (93.5% - 97.49%): 4.0
    A- (89.5%- 93.49%): 3.7

But they didn't average all grades to make a GPA, they averaged all grades for a particular class for a particular marking period; then they averaged those GPAs to calculate your cumulative GPA. (So it doesn't make a difference whether you get a 94 or a 97 for a marking period; they both mean the same thing)
    @MarlonBrando, what exactly is a 93 at your school on a 4.0 scale? Is that like a couple of B's?
  • glidoglido Registered User Posts: 5,947 Senior Member
    Yes, a 94 gpa is competitive for Columbia - but it takes more than a good gpa, as I am sure you know. Best of luck!
  • MarlonBrandoMarlonBrando Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    92-100 is an A at my school. 83-91 is a B. Not counting senior year, where I don't give a f%#*, I ended with a 90 in one course and an 86 in another, both non-major specific for me.
    Oh ok. were you accepted to SEAS or CC?
    Oh ok. were you accepted to SEAS or CC?

Also were those B's during a year that mattered a lot (like junior year) or freshman/sophomore year which don't matter nearly as much?
This discussion has been closed.