Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!
TamparaTampara Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
Hello guys,

thanks in advance for reading and, hopefully, replying, what you think - I am at a loss about what my chances are.

Objective:

SAT I: 2170 (CR 690/M 710/WR 770)
SAT II:740 Math II, 650 US History (self-studied)
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable):Finished my last year with full grades, but my grades fluctuated during the 4 high school years (upwards though).

Senior Year Course Load:Latvian, Maths, History, English, Religious Studies (higher level), physics, economics, art (lower level)
Rigor: I took many classes and did well in them, however, I did not choose to do IB (which my school offered), and now I'm afraid that is going to be a huge disadvantage.

Awards: 1st place National Olympiad of Political Science, finalist in Latvia's Economics and Managing competitions.

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Volunteering for festivals; theme events; business conferences; representing Latvia in the international conference in South Korea; youth exchanges; investment games; being a part of a educational company.

Job/Work Experience:
Volunteer/Community service: After graduating I did an internship in European Commission; also 1 week internship in Ministry of Foreign Affairs; working as an interpreter in Trade Fair in Germany for few days.

Essays: CommonApp essay on individual travelling alone through Europe. However, I am not a good writer and do not know how to captivate a reader. The more I correct, the worse essay turns out, thus mostly I just submit the first/second draft.

Teacher Recommendation: No idea - one from coworker, another from English teacher
Counselor Rec: Probably not good or generic; she seemed to be annoyed with me quite often.

Other

Country (if international applicant): Latvia
School Type: public, but very competitive to get into, the best in the country
Ethnicity: white
Income Bracket: <17000 (6 people in the family)
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):

Weaknesses: too much of my SAT score is combined out of writing section, perhaps not the most difficult workload (no idea what counselor marked), good grades do not correlate well with weak SAT subject scores, do not have good grasp/talent to write good essays and knowing how important they are, it's really disheartening.
Strengths: very few people from my country apply?
This discussion has been closed.