Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

High School GPA

rackcityrackcity Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Columbia University
Hey everyone, my dream school is Columbia. But, my gpa in high school is not so great. It is a 3.9 beginning of sophomore year, and i am probably going to get a B in ap statistics which will drop my gpa to a 3.87/3.86 ish. Will this lessen the chance of me getting into columbia? What else can i do to recover for such a bad gpa? (what extra curriculars). Thanks in advance
Post edited by rackcity on

Replies to: High School GPA

• T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    1) a single grade won't make or break you
    2) your remedy of "more ECs" to compensate is potentially revealing that you're exactly the type of unoriginal and uninteresting applicant that is a dime a dozen to schools like Columbia

People who are viable applicants are not a list of grades and ECs. They actually are people who could do well without ever attending a school like Columbia. They already are charting their own path. An acceptance to a school like Columbia is a natural result of an already extraordinary impact in academics/community/school and a top school is not a goal -- it's actually just a stepping stone. They aren't resume conscious and aren't monitoring every single point of every single class they take to carefully track their GPA or class rank.
  • colleger123colleger123 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    it depends on your school...is it private? public? considered competitive and well-respected throughout your state? if you go to a non-competitive, grade-inflating school that hands out A's, then yeah, it will hurt you. If you go to a rigorous, competitive school then it won't. good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.