Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Hard Worker Low Stats- Chance Me

WawapowerWawapower Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
edited January 2014 in Columbia University
Stats: I have taken 8 Honors classes, 5 AP classes, and 3 college classes through the running start program. I have a 3.6 UW GPA and a 4.3 W GPA. I am in the top quarter of my class and I have a 26 ACT. I am Hispanic and am applying for financial aid.

- I have always challenged myself in school, but have always gotten a B in AP math and science classes. I have taken AP classes ranging from Art History to Calculus. I am eager to learn everything and I love to challenge myself. My GPA dropped last year because I moved to a new high school my junior year, but as of now I have a 4.0 UW GPA this semester.

EC: Editor for an online magazine
Marching Band/ Pep Band/ Advanced Wind Ensemble- second trumpet
Trumpet Lessons- 8 years
Active Member of Youth Group- 8 years
Cooking Blog
Creative Writing- trying to publish several of my poems
Nanny over the summer
Participated in a 30 Hour Famine
Volunteered at Food Bank
Volunteered to sell merchandise for a local sports event (Bloomsday)
Volunteered to help advertise for Hoopfest
Key Club Member Junior Year
Bible Study Group
Piano Lessons- 2 years
Been to several concerts (over 60) / art exhibits

Columbia is one of my reach schools. I applied just for fun because it is one of my dream schools but I didn't expect to get an interview or get accepted. Well, I have an interview next Tuesday and am nervous because of my low stats. My essays were pretty stellar but I was curious to know who has been accepted and what admissions looks for in a student other than high GPA and test scores. My Grandpa attended but ended up not getting a degree because he enlisted in WWII. I wish everyone good luck in thier application process and I hope everyone gets into their desired schools.
Post edited by Wawapower on

Replies to: Hard Worker Low Stats- Chance Me

This discussion has been closed.