Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!
maymay5678maymay5678 Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
edited January 2014 in Columbia University

I was wondering if anyone could chance me? Columbia is my dream school so I just want to know if I have even a chance of getting in.

I am a white female and I live in a very academically competitive county in northern Virginia. In the past 5 years about 15 people from my school have applied and all of been denied, and my scores are comparable.

GPA: 4.3 (weighted) 3.92 (unweighted)

Course Rigor:
-I've always taken Honors and APs where available
-Electives: 4 years of Spanish, freshmen year- art, sophomore year- fashion marketing, this year- AP Econ and Leadership (SGA)

SAT: 1980 (CR:700 M:660 W:620) I didn't really study so I know I should be able to raise my score by about 150-200 points.
ACT: I haven't taken the ACT yeat (I'm taking it in 2 weeks) but on most of my practice tests I've been getting a 32-33

Extracurriculars:
-Girl Scouts (Bronze and Silver Awards and I'm working on my Gold) since I was 5
-Competitive Dance (think 15-20 hours a week, 6 days a week) since I was 4
-I played field hockey in 9th and 10th grade but had to stop because of an ACL injury
-Math League 10th grade
-DECA 10th grade
-I joined Key Club, History Honor Society, National Honor Society, Student Government, and Model UN (I'm vice president) this year.

Other:
-I won first place at the school, regional, and state level for National History Day
-I was a Girl Scout Congressional Aide last summer (a mini internship at a congressman's office)
-This summer I am going on a Girl Scout service trip to Costa Rica

Thank you!!
:)
This discussion has been closed.