Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Columbia Likely Letters

Replies to: Columbia Likely Letters

• SneakyWalrusSneakyWalrus Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I got one on valentines day, maybe so we 'fall in love' with Columbia, :))
    Anyway, I applied for mathematics as a white male, so I guess they are giving them to prospective STEM students. Congrats to everyone who got one as well!
  • BritanorexBritanorex Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    @T26E4 I read my letter. I'm not sure whether it means I'm definitely accepted or not. It says you can expect a letter of acceptance if you continue on your path, I'm wondering how certain it is. Does anyone know the acceptance rate for likely letter kids?
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    @Brianorex: If one of these things happen to you between now and March 27th, you won't be admitted.

1) fraud is discovered in your application
    2) you commit a felony
    3) you get expelled or flunk out of school

Are any of those on the horizon for you? I hope not.

Otherwise, it's 100% commitment from CU to you, the applicant. Got it?

Congratulations. In your hands is literally, the "golden ticket". It's no joke. People break down crying when they receive one. Perhaps one hundred out of 30K applicants get one.
  • BritanorexBritanorex Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    @T26E4 wow! That's great news. Thanks for the information. I know this isn't the place but I noticed that you are a senior member. Is it possible for me to change my username?
  • mermaidgirlmermaidgirl Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    Did the people who received likely letters apply to Fu or Columbia College?
  • texaspgtexaspg Forum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,649 Forum Champion
    Both issue likelies.
  • magnificent6magnificent6 Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    Can you guys post your stats?
  • MrsWeasleyMrsWeasley Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    So if you don't get a likely letter, does that mean you will not be admitted?
  • texaspgtexaspg Forum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,649 Forum Champion
    From what I understood talking to Columbia admissions couple of years ago is that they admit about 8-10% of the admittees early in RD. Many of them are named scholars of some kind.

So there are more than 90% still left to be admitted after the likelies.
  • newsonlinenewsonline Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello texaspg - How do you know that Columbia will send likely letters until 2nd week of March? Did you ask any admissions officer?
    @newsonline: Per Ivy agreement, the schools are ALLOWED to send Likely Letters between Oct 1 and March 15. Whether they choose to do so or not is completely up to them, year to year, dependent on the circumstances. For all we know, they're completely done.
  • newsonlinenewsonline Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks T26E4
  • bob1235bob1235 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Are these the only letters that will be sent out? Will there be another wave usually for Ivy League Schools?
    bob: there's no set protocol. Like I said in my post above, for all we know, they're completely done. Or they have another hundred ready to go. However, you should resist any temptation to be sitting around, longing for one. They are VERY pointed marketing instruments. No rational person should expect one.
  • desie1desie1 Registered User Posts: 891 Member
    some kids got likely letters today
This discussion has been closed.