right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Chance me for Columbia ED 2023

horncollegehorncollege 24 replies15 threads Junior Member
I think I want to apply to Columbia ED 2023 and don't know if I'd get in. Sorry if there's no way I can get in and I just have an inflated ego
Objective: I don't know what I exactly want to major in, but if I went to Columbia, I'd either do neuroscience and behavioral studies, psychology, or poli sci! I want to go to law school and be a medical malpratice/ mass tort lawyer.

SAT I: not taking
ACT: 32 (33 English, 31 Math, 30 Reading, 33 Science) (This will be going up at least one point)
SAT II: not taking
weighted GPA (out of 100) 95 (upward trend)
Unweighted GPA (out of 100) 93.5 (upward trend)
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Unranked
AP (place score in parenthesis): Including senior year APS: AP LANG, APUSH, AP CHEM, AP LIT, AP GOV, (AP BIO OR AP PHYSICS), AP CALC AB, AP SPANISH
Major Awards: nothing major, gone to state every year on the horn, member of youth symphony, at least 1x national champion brass band member, does favorite child count?
Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Tri-M honors society (Chance of being President), 4 years of band (Chance of being President), School Leader (won't know exact role yet) , Catholic School Gay, will be in NHS and Science NHS, started a staff interview column for our website, going to create a mock trial club
Job/Work Experience: A LOT! (I have to pay for my gas) Baseball fields, age 15 (left at end of season). Panera, ~ 11 months (Quit because scheduling became a MESS and I already have a busy schedule), Local ice cream place, ~ one month (Unprofessional), Target: about 1 month so far, I'm planning on staying even after high school if I can
Volunteer/Community service: Will have about 200 hours done at local youth court and truancy panels, also will become a part of a victim assistance project.
Summer Activities: Travelling to Austria with a local youth symphony.
Essays: Obviously not written yet, but I have a good idea about what I want to write about and I'm confident in my writing abilities, might talk about how I used to feel a desire to not fit the stereotype of being gay but now I embrace it.
Teacher Recommendation: They will be excellent, even though my grades aren't as perfect as my friends (I'm talking over 100 gaps, thank god my school does not rank), I pride myself on having really strong relationships with teachers and actually being friends with them.
Counselor Rec: This is iffy, do not talk to my counselor a lot

Other

State (if domestic applicant): Kansas
School Type: Private School
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: $200,000+
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Gay (I'm just gonna be blunt about it on here), Play the French horn (I know this does NOT account for much, but I'm good and planning on obtaining a concentration in music if accepted), I'm a good person? Should I tell them I own a meme page on Instagram that has 13k followers (I post appropriate stuff so it would be ok if they found it)
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance me for Columbia ED 2023

• taylormarie01taylormarie01 8 replies0 threads New Member
    edited December 2017
    Hey guys, I am currently a junior and Columbia is my dream school. A lot of my friends (that are seniors) are getting their notices from colleges this week and it is making me more anxious and scared to know that I will be finding out what the next 4 years lies for me this time next year. I have pretty good grades (I go to a very competitive and challenging school), pretty good test scores, and stellar extracurricular. Although I have a year to bring up my gpa and test scores, I am mostly relying on my extracurrilars, because I hope they can show Columbia that I will be an asset to their community and be able to make a difference. I have no idea where I will attend college and what my journey will be to get there, but I have to trust in god that I will go where he wants me to be.
    edited December 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • mathgirl102mathgirl102 2 replies0 threads New Member
    edited December 2018
    :)
    edited December 2018
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity