right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Columbia Supplements

Jleto18Jleto18 231 replies85 threads Member
For the 150 word supplements that ask about your favorite books, entertainment, and such, do I just list out some of my favorites? Or do I name one then briefly describe it then another and briefly describe it and so on? Or do I do something else entirely? The problem I can see with my brief description is that I could probably only do 2-3 if that in the 150 words provided. But, it seems kind of odd to me to just make a list without some explanation. What should I do?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Columbia Supplements

• SlowPopSlowPop 38 replies3 threads Junior Member
    This question comes up a lot. There's no need to overthink it. There are no wrong answers.

A straight list is fine. Adding a few reasons is very common. Longer annotations with just 2 or 3 items are fine too. Don't bother with wiki-type summaries. Explaining why is always better than what. Don't manufacture lists to project a certain image.

The required reading list helps put your school in context - English 12 is not the same everywhere, some read Finnegan's Wake while others read To Kill A Mockingbird. The pleasure book list gives some insight into your interests - listing the Core books will not help. The print/electronic publications generally don't need annotations and lets them know if/how you keep up with current events and your interests. And the other entertainment helps confirm other information about your social/economic/cultural background contained in your recommendations and essays.
    · Reply · Share
  • Jleto18Jleto18 231 replies85 threads Member
    Would it be appropriate to add humor to my descriptions? Obviously nothing vulgar, but a sentence or two that describes the book in a humorous manner? The problem I could see is that the AOs might not think that my humor is very funny.
    · Reply · Share
  • Jleto18Jleto18 231 replies85 threads Member
    Here's an example:
    Oedipus Rex by Sophocles - I would make a mom joke.....but it wouldn't be fair since Oedipus wouldn't see it coming.
    · Reply · Share
  • preppedparentpreppedparent 3341 replies10 threads Senior Member
    Your app should tell a story about your many interests, passions and curiosities. You can use this section to reveal some aspect of your personality that has not been portrayed yet. Use the space well.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity