right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Is Columbia the Greatest Challenger to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and MIT?

EliteCulture331EliteCulture331 54 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
edited October 2018 in Columbia University
It seems that Columbia has some unique advantages over schools like Penn and UChicago, but also in comparison to Harvard, Yale, etc. Any thoughts?
edited October 2018
33 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is Columbia the Greatest Challenger to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and MIT?

• TiggerDadTiggerDad 1814 replies70 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,884 Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    I think of Columbia as "peers" rather than "the greatest challenger" to HYPSM. I also think of UChicago as their peers, as well. These are all great institutions of higher learning and that's the way I think of them as opposed to some sort of ranking order.
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7381 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,457 Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    @EliteCulture331: What are the "unique advantages" held by Columbia over Penn, Chicago, Harvard, Yale, etc. ?

Thank you in advance !
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 26529 replies172 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26,701 Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    My thoughts: the only unique advantage that I see is Manhattan. (I also see the Core curriculum as somewhat unique, at least to the Ivies, but then I'm a dinosaur that actually believes in a Core. Note, that Chicago has a Core.)

Barnard is also unique, but I assume that is not what you mean OP.
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad 1814 replies70 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,884 Senior Member
    Another unique advantage is their joint degree program with Juilliard, similar to Harvard/NEC. A good friend of violinist son is currently participating in this joint program.
    · Reply · Share
  • EliteCulture331EliteCulture331 54 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    @bluebayou Far more than just Manhattan. Columbia is ranked 3rd in the United States behind only Princeton and Harvard as well as 8th globally ahead of Princeton and Yale. Columbia has exclusive partnerships in Data Science and blockchain with IBM and is recognized as the nation's leader in financial engineering and data science. Perhaps, "advantages" wasn't the right word, "well positioned" is probably more accurate.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 26529 replies172 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26,701 Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    so your definition is 'well positioned in financial engineering and data science'? Are you more focused on grad or undergrad?

Isn't Columbia's venture with IBM brand new? (How can it then be a national leader, unless it's the only one out there?)

(just trying to understand the context of your OP?)
    Columbia is ranked 3rd in the United States behind only Princeton and Harvard

Isn't this answering your own question?
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 9916 replies144 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,060 Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    Columbia can lay claim to offering the ultimate urban experience among otherwise comparable universities. For this reason alone, it could represent an unquestionable first-choice school for students who seek this type of setting.

However, with respect to undergraduate education, the true alternatives to all the schools mentioned would seem to be purely undergraduate-focused colleges such as those among the NESCACs and Claremonts.
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • EliteCulture331EliteCulture331 54 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    edited October 2018
    @bluebayou IBM chose to partner with Columbia because of Columbia's Data Science Institute and Financial Engineering program. Both are regularly ranked number 1. Yes, the IBM Blockchain center is new, hence why I think "well positioned" is more appropriate a term.

@skieurope Don't you think your use of the term HYPSM sort of contradicts your initial claim "Like it makes any difference". HYPSM is a term which identifies what are purportedly the best schools in the nation: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT by a single initial. How can there be no difference between HYPSM and Columbia if Columbia is excluded from the acronym?
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 37376 replies6486 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 43,862 Super Moderator
    edited October 2018
    @skieurope Don't you think your use of the term HYPSM sort of contradicts your initial claim
    No. You chose to mention those 5 schools. In response to your original post, instead of typing out all the name of the 5 (and only 5) universities that you yourself included in the thread header, I simply used the abbreviation that is commonly used to refer to them.
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/HYPSM
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7381 replies76 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,457 Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    At least one Big 4 accounting firm has partnered with nine universities for data analysis/data sciences masters degree. Not sure how unique Columbia's joint venture is currently & in the very near future.
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 2018
    @Publisher It's not a degree program. It's an entirely new Center for Blockchain Research led by IBM and Columbia researchers. If you weren't aware IBM is the clear leader in Blockchain technology. IBM chose to work with Columbia because of their strengths in related fields.

Students and researchers will be given the opportunity to incubate blockchain start-ups and help define policy for blockchain technology.
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you. My point is that new joint venture type co-ops & programs are rapidly being offered by different affiliations in many fields.
    · Reply · Share
  • CenterCenter 2204 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    OP-you ask for thoughts and then argue. If you think it is so then end of discussion. My thoughts-not remotely. Too many limitations-- and each school, when you drill down probably have some unique specialties an strengths regardless of ranking .
    · Reply · Share
    @Center I'm not arguing. I was asked to clarify the unique advantages of the IBM partnership. I'm not barred from commenting on my own discussion.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity