right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Chance me for Columbia ED SEAS

applicant5695applicant5695 2 replies1 threads New Member
edited December 2018 in Columbia University
SAT: 1500 (790 Math, 710 English)
SATII: Math 2 800, Physics 740
AP: CompSci A 4, Physics 1 4
GPA: 91.2/100 UW, School does not weight GPA
Class Rank: Does not rank

ECs:
Did iDTech programming camp for two years, one of which was at Columbia
Stationed at a TV studio for a year doing CGI, Cameraman, Sound
Piano school for 4 years at precollege program at MSM with two notable professors, won multiple awards (started piano around 4th grade, total 10 years)
Volunteered and led a group around China, touring different cities for 3 years
A+ certified, took the test in freshman year
Volunteered with a tech group that taught seniors how to use tech for two years
Martial arts at a young age, ended at freshman year, won third at a competition

Clubs:

Robotics club, member for two years, competed in FRC FIRST
Table Tennis Club for three years, was treasurer -> Vice
Games club for three years, treasurer -> vice -> pres

No legacy
Income bracket: 80k - 100k
Applied for Financial Aid: yes, I have a sister in college
Ethnicity: Asian

Senior workload: AP Physics 2, AP Chinese, AP Stats, AP Psych, H Calc (Wrote in that I woulda taken AP but my teacher was on maternal leave and the sub was too scared to get me to AP, saying it was "too big of a jump")
Total Honors: 5
Total APs: 6
Total IBs: School doesn't offer

Other:
PSAT score was top 34k, got a letter of commendation
Obama's presidential education award
Bilingual in Mandarin Chinese and English

Interview: Had one, I think it was okay but I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to convince him that I was super invested into Columbia that I actually am, there was a bunch of replies where he said "but every other college has that as well" but at the end he did say that the purpose was to see if you're a good person and that he would write me a good review. I'm pretty sure that I said enough to convince him that I did research into Columbia (like their small student:faculty ratio) and among other things but I didn't research enough into the Core curriculum, and stuff like that. He asked which college I was applying, SEAS or CC, but I didn't realize that the "Fu Foundation" was the same as SEAS so I said "I think CC" and he asked why I didn't apply for SEAS. I later emailed him (along with a thank you email) saying that I didn't realize that SEAS = Fu Foundation and that I actually did apply for that.

EDs come out Thursday for Columbia and I'm super nervous. How good are my chances?
edited December 2018
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance me for Columbia ED SEAS

This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity