right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Concerns About High School Summer Program

Stophin_Stophin_ 13 replies14 threads Junior Member
So I was accepted into Columbia University's Master Class in Fiction for the Commuter Program. Recently, I've been looking a little more into Columbia's summer programs and I've only read bad things like how it isn't rigorous or it's just a scheme for universities to get money out of rich people. I was of the belief that I could get a strong summer education out of it but now I am very confused. Is all of the bad talk about CU's summer programs true? Was it a waste to apply to this program?
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Concerns About High School Summer Program

• sgopal2sgopal2 3770 replies51 threads Senior Member
    Many many colleges have summer programs. Not just Columbia. Summer courses are a big money maker for the colleges. Since the dorms are empty, its an easy way to get some tuition dollars.

I don't know much about the courses in the summer program at Columbia, but I wouldn't worry. You get out of it whatever you put into it. If you're willing to work hard, then I wouldn't pay much attention to what others say.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3641 replies13 threads Senior Member
    I don't think programs like this are a waste of time. You will be getting instruction on writing, which is a skill that is useful in many careers, you will work with (according to the website) two fairly accomplished writers, you will spend time on a college campus, and you can make friends with others who have similar interests. True this is a money maker for the U and some students can't afford it.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity