right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

COLUMBIA TRANSFER: Fall 2020

heyigotnoclueheyigotnoclue 646 replies8 threads Member
heya! trying to find the official forum for aspiring transfer students for Columbia - Fall 2020. talk and stay positive! :wink:
edited June 5
490 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: COLUMBIA TRANSFER: Fall 2020

• jhu202333333jhu202333333 4 replies0 threads New Member
    Hey, I’m planning on applying as well. Which schools does everyone go to?
    · Reply · Share
  • heyigotnoclueheyigotnoclue 646 replies8 threads Member
    california cc - HELLOOOOOO people from community college :smiley:
    · Reply · Share
  • VeronicaWangVeronicaWang 1 replies0 threads New Member
    UC Berkeley. I've always wanted to go to Columbia but I didn't apply for it in high school because I see little chance of getting in. But I will try this time:)
    · Reply · Share
  • jazziscooljazziscool 160 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Hey everyone,
    I am a first year California community college student. I'm applying as a rising sophomore. Does anyone know if I have a better chance applying as rising sophomore or rising junior?
    · Reply · Share
  • brightplacesbrightplaces 105 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Is their application live on the Common App yet? I cannot seem to find it. The only Columbia College is the one in Missouri.
    · Reply · Share
    @jazziscool heya also from a california cc - from what my transfer counselors have said about previous transfers, it is better to go in as a rising junior but idk so dont take my word on it :open_mouth:
    · Reply · Share
    @jazziscool I think that there are mixed opinions on when to transfer. Since their core is super hard, some people think that applying as a sophomore may be an advantage. Whereas some believe it shows less growth from HS, therefore applying a jr is better. This is just a summarization of what I've seen lurking around the internet and asking around. Overall, I think just making sure all parts of your application are good to go is the best you can do! Also, has anyone started their app, I cannot find it on the commonapp?
    · Reply · Share
  • CollegeSunCollegeSun 17 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Hey everyone,

I'm currently a junior at Cornell who is looking to transfer to Columbia. I'm looking to transfer because I want to switch majors (to do that at Cornell requires internally transferring and for the college that I'm interested in here I'm not even allowed to internal transfer as a junior) and also because I seek a change in atmosphere (I have SAD which means that my mood and ability to concentrate is heavily influenced by the weather/climate and obviously Ithaca is an incredibly AWFUL place to go to school).

Although I feel that transferring is an appropriate action for me to take at this point, I have 2 concerning issues that will probs negatively affect my transfer chances and I'm not sure if it's still worth pursuing it. First of all, I transferred once to Cornell already so I'm pretty sure that transferring again will be a negative for me in the admissions process. Secondly, my GPA isn't that good (approx. 3.6 currently). I had a 4.0 in my previous college. The discrepancy in the GPAs is mainly due to the difference in location/climate and how it impacts my SAD (the previous college was in the city/good weather, etc).

Given everything that I said above, do you guys think it is even worth applying to transfer to Columbia?

Thanks in advance! Good luck to everyone!!
    · Reply · Share
    @brightplaces The Columbia transfer application is on Coalition, not Common app :/
    · Reply · Share
    @QueerandHere That is awesome congrats! Is it okay if I PM you? I'm really interested because you transferred as a rising sophomore and I don't know if I have a better chance applying as Junior or sophomore.
    · Reply · Share
    Does anyone else here have really bad grades in high school but has really good grades in college?
    · Reply · Share
  • QueerandHereQueerandHere 25 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited November 2019
    @jazziscool totally fine!
    edited November 2019
    · Reply · Share
    @jazziscool Ahh...all the other ivies were on commonapp and I was avoiding making a coalition account. Makes sense.
    · Reply · Share
    @QueerandHere do you mind sharing some facts about you? if not, completely fine :smiley:
    · Reply · Share
  • CollegeSunCollegeSun 17 replies5 threads Junior Member
    @QueerandHere Hi. I'm currently a college junior at Cornell who wants to transfer. Based on your experience, do you think it is worth it to apply given that I'm already a junior. I would be willing to delay my undegrad education if needed.

Thanks!!
    · Reply · Share
  • LapisLazumarrilLapisLazumarril 96 replies1 threads Student Voice
    @CollegeSun If you don't mind me asking what makes you wanna transfer out of Cornell? (lol that's one of the schools I'm applying as a transfer to.)
    · Reply · Share
    @CollegeSun i wonder if they will accept you since you are a junior
    · Reply · Share
    @QueerandHere ok im gonna pm you!
    · Reply · Share