right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Schools are not offering in-person tours because of COVID-19, but many offer virtual tours. Check out our directory of virtual campus tours we know about right now.
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!

Principal rec letter

meantomatoesmeantomatoes 1 replies1 threads New Member
Should I submit a letter from my principal in supplemental docs or have them mail it? I know that Columbia generally only wants supplemental letters from academics only.
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Principal rec letter

• tdy123tdy123 1040 replies18 threads Senior Member
    What is the Principal's LOR going to say about you that the LOR's from your teachers will not?
    · Reply · Share
  • BenniesMom1BenniesMom1 217 replies3 threads Junior Member
    tdy123 wrote: »
    What is the Principal's LOR going to say about you that the LOR's from your teachers will not?

Uhmmm.... maybe a LOT? My son does his teacher's aiding IN the dean's office so she gets to interact with him every day in an office setting. The teachers do not have that interaction which is more of a boss/employee kinda thing. So, in this case, that principal's LOR can say a LOT !
    · Reply · Share
  • meantomatoesmeantomatoes 1 replies1 threads New Member

I’m in a large school (~2700) so my counselor doesn’t know me so well. My principal has known my family and has watched me grow since elementary, so it will be more personal than my teachers or counselor.

Do you think this is wise?

My teachers have positive things to say, but my grades aren’t great in general while my test scores and extracurriculars are above average. I’m hoping that some added input from my principal will provide more context about me as a person.
    · Reply · Share
  • tdy123tdy123 1040 replies18 threads Senior Member

I’m in a large school (~2700) so my counselor doesn’t know me so well. My principal has known my family and has watched me grow since elementary, so it will be more personal than my teachers or counselor.

Do you think this is wise?

My teachers have positive things to say, but my grades aren’t great in general while my test scores and extracurriculars are above average. I’m hoping that some added input from my principal will provide more context about me as a person.

That sounds like a good reason for a supplemental LOR.
    · Reply · Share