right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Columbia University Waitlist 2024 Discussion

macaowllovermacaowllover 29 replies2 threads Junior Member
edited March 30 in Columbia University
Just so we can all be updated! Looking forward to extending my limbo for several more weeks. Good luck to us all!
edited March 30
247 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Columbia University Waitlist 2024 Discussion

• brownbound01brownbound01 14 replies0 threads New Member
    how are yall approaching the supplementary letter?
    · Reply · Share
  • warmsnowflakeswarmsnowflakes 36 replies2 threads Junior Member
    waitlisted here too!
    · Reply · Share
  • writluvsarwritluvsar 19 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Me too! Anyone here know how Columbia’s waitlist works exactly?
    · Reply · Share
  • warmsnowflakeswarmsnowflakes 36 replies2 threads Junior Member
    writluvsar wrote: »
    Me too! Anyone here know how Columbia’s waitlist works exactly?

from what ive seen on the other discussions, there are multiple rounds of getting off the waitlist (around 3) starting from about may 15. time to dot our i's and cross our t's. i have no idea how many people are on the waitlist though!
    · Reply · Share
  • macaowllovermacaowllover 29 replies2 threads Junior Member
    True, i cant find much statistics on it but for some reason columbia waitlist is one of the more common ones ive seen.
    · Reply · Share
  • NotproudofthisNotproudofthis 5 replies0 threads New Member
    any idea about how many people are waitlisted? good luck to everyone!!
    · Reply · Share
  • mayagray3104mayagray3104 3 replies0 threads New Member
    I'm also on the waitlist. Does anyone know how many people Columbia typically accepts of the waitlist? Columbia is my dream school and I don't know what I'm going to do if I'm not pulled off of the waitlist. I want to go there soooo bad :(
    · Reply · Share
  • IlovetheskyIlovethesky 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Has anyone already sent the supplementary statement? I'm really anxious about all this
    · Reply · Share
  • writluvsarwritluvsar 19 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 8
    @Ilovethesky Yup, I have. Me too; this state of limbo has been so overwhelming.
    edited April 8
    · Reply · Share
    I sent mine in yesterday, the amount of soul and love i poured into it is scary to me haha
    · Reply · Share
  • IlovetheskyIlovethesky 2 replies0 threads New Member
    I also sent mine. I wanted to know if you are still able to sent other files, because in my portal it doesn't appear anything like i submitted something. I just got an email
    · Reply · Share
    If you got the email I'm pretty sure they've received it. Check the FAQ or ur decision letter there must have been some basic guidelines there for the waitlist submissions.
    · Reply · Share
  • DesiDancingDesiDancing 52 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited April 10
    Who is waitlisted for CC here?
    edited April 10
    · Reply · Share
  • DesiDancingDesiDancing 52 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @macaowllover how many words is your essay? They said one page, I did one page single space. Too much?
    · Reply · Share
    @DesiDancing waitlisted for CC!, around 620 i think. Mine was single space as well because it was very difficult to cut it down. It still fit on the single page though
    · Reply · Share
  • xsos15xsos15 10 replies2 threads New Member
    How do you guys think the waitlist is going to go this year? I heard Columbia accepted about 200 kids more than usual but with Corona being a thing I’m uncertain on how that will affect waitlist admissions.
    · Reply · Share
    Around 220 I think, we really can't predict anything but financial stability, visa problems, and the recent concerns re: Columbia with the Barnard student :( and the virus being heavily concentrated in NY may affect yield. They haven't released any statistics yet either for ED or RD. I don't think they accepted more ED students, so that's why they may be concerned about yield. I honestly think that the yield and # of accepted students will balance each other out? So at the very least the regular movement may be expected. But if the effects of all these external factors really worsen over the next few weeks then :/ who knows, they really might pull more off the waitlist.
    · Reply · Share
  • staylor1490staylor1490 50 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Around 220 I think, we really can't predict anything but financial stability, visa problems, and the recent concerns re: Columbia with the Barnard student :( and the virus being heavily concentrated in NY may affect yield. They haven't released any statistics yet either for ED or RD. I don't think they accepted more ED students, so that's why they may be concerned about yield. I honestly think that the yield and # of accepted students will balance each other out? So at the very least the regular movement may be expected. But if the effects of all these external factors really worsen over the next few weeks then :/ who knows, they really might pull more off the waitlist.

Where did you hear that Columbia is accepting 220 more students than usual this year?
    · Reply · Share
  • xsos15xsos15 10 replies2 threads New Member
    It was in a Wall Street Journal article.
    · Reply · Share
    But yes regularly around 50 students are accepted off of the waitlist each year. I heard they use the waitlist to control the exact number of students because they have to ensure on-campus housing to everyone and don't want to overadmit.
    · Reply · Share