Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

International financial aid

tokyochictokyochic User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 12 New Member
edited January 2007 in Columbia University
I'm a student from Japan, and was wondering whether applying for financial aid would hurt. I talked to one Swathmore admissions guy a couple of monthes ago and he told me since international students didn't get need-blind treatment, it would hurt my chances. Any insight? Thanks!
Post edited by tokyochic on

Replies to: International financial aid

• SkraylorSkraylor Registered User Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    I thought there was no aid for internationals period....I could be wrong tho, anyone wanna correct/confirm?
  • lennnilennni Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    there is financial aid for internationals, it's just much harder to get. they don't do a need-blind admissions process for us, though if you are outstanding they will offer you pretty good aid. the application says that the competition for international aid is pretty damn tough though.
  • pearfirepearfire Registered User Posts: 1,313 Senior Member
    U can pretty much assume that your chances have been significantly decreased now... prob by a factor of 5-10, depending on how much aid u need
  • davidng1davidng1 Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    I don't think it will hurt much if you have a strong application. I think the need for financial aid only affects borderline applicants.
  • columbia2007columbia2007 Registered User Posts: 906 Member
    International financial aid is weak right now, but I believe it's been earmarked for a substantial increase as part of the endowent drive.
  • maddy_01maddy_01 Registered User Posts: 873 Member
    3 cheers for that! ^^^ Hope it applies for 2007 international hopefuls
  • spark15spark15 Registered User Posts: 459 Member
    Columbia and most other US schools are need-blind only to domestics. If you are not a domestic, your admission is processed separately. I think there is a quota for international students who need financial assistance.
  • raza999raza999 Registered User Posts: 361 Member
    Applying for aid will hurt your chances. Your application is put in a separate pile from what i ve heard
  • maddy_01maddy_01 Registered User Posts: 873 Member
    yea I know....but what the heck....I still applied
This discussion has been closed.