Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance Me!

bad1017bad1017 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
edited January 2007 in Columbia University
I'm taking a year off and I want to know how you think I'd fair next fall applying ED.

Rigor of Classes: full-IB diploma candidate
GPA: 4.16, weighted
SAT I: 650 V, 720 M, 700 W (I know this is low, I plan to try the ACT)
SAT II: 750 Math II, 680 Literature, 610 U.S. History
IB: 7 Math Studies SL, 6 Physics SL (will take English HL, Anthropology SL, French HL, and History HL in May)
AP: 4 US Government (will take Calculus AB in May)

High School Extracurriculars:
-School Newspaper (9-12): Editor-in-Chief (11-12), Lifestyles Editor (10)
-Election 2006 Volunteer Work (12): Jim Webb campaign, Arlington Electoral Board
-Student Government Association (11-12): Class Treasurer
-Social Studies Honor Society (11-12): President
-Marching Band - Color Guard (10-12): Captain (12)
-Girls' Varsity, JV, and Freshman Basketball (9-12): Manager/Scorekeeper
-Youth Philanthropists of the Washington Region (11-12): Northern Virginia representative
-Leadership Arlington (11): Washington-Lee representative
-Television Production Crew (12): Anchor, Technician
-Bookseller at Barnes & Noble (12): 16 hrs/wk

Awards:
National French Honor Society (9-12), Quill & Scroll Society (11-12), Honor Roll (9-12), CSPA Gold Medal for newspaper (11), CSPA Silver Medal for newspaper (9-10), IB English 11 Student of the Semester (11), VHSL Excellent rating for newspaper (9,11) **NOTE: I'm up for several more journalism awards that I will hear about later this year and will be able to include in my application.

Gap-Year Plans:
Summer: press intern for U.S. Senator or Representative
Fall: learn Arabic abroad
Winter: teach English abroad in the Middle East or Africa
Spring: intern at MERIP (publishes a journal concerning Middle Eastern affairs)
Summer: volunteer/intern for Presidential campaign

Potential Hook(s):
-Strong interest in the Middle East: I wrote my Extended Essay, a 4000-word independent research paper on foreign intervention in Palestine between the World Wars. I want to intern for a Senator on the Foreign Relations Committee. I will have knowledge of Arabic and will have visited the region. I plan to apply as a Middle Eastern Studies major.
-Dedication to journalism: I was on my high school staff for four years and spent countless hours working on the paper. I will send a recommendation from my advisor who loves me. I first learned of Columbia through their annual journalism convention. I plan to be a press intern and also write for MERIP's journal. I also plan on joining the Spectator staff and have already spoken with several current editors.
-Political Involvement: I will have worked on two campaigns by the time I enroll in Fall '08.

So what do you think? I know my high school extracurriculars are a bit all over the place and my scores aren't high enough, but do you think my gap-year plans reveal my focus and passion for the Middle East enough for the admissions officers to overlook that?
Post edited by bad1017 on

Replies to: Chance Me!

• karotkarot Registered User Posts: 1,200 Senior Member
    I could see it happening. I'd still shoot for a good score on the ACT though, and maybe another subject test.
  • SkraylorSkraylor Registered User Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    why didnt you just apply this year and ask for a deferrment, just out of curiosity...
  • bad1017bad1017 Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    I did apply this year ED, but I was rejected. I'm glad I was though because I never would've dreamed of taking a year off before then. There are so many amazing opportunities! I might not end up reapplying, but I was just wondering about my chances if I did.
This discussion has been closed.