Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

What kind of students the school is looking for

kyb609kyb609 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited August 2008 in Columbia University
What they are looking for? In term of SAT, Ec....
Post edited by kyb609 on

Replies to: What kind of students the school is looking for

• eating foodeating food Registered User Posts: 1,927 Senior Member
    - 2400 (one sitting)
    - Three sport athlete (nationally recognized in at least 2)
    - President of 10 clubs (founder of at least 4 of them)
  • karotkarot Registered User Posts: 1,200 Senior Member
    You kids are getting lazy. Back in my day, you had to have founded at least 6, as well as a total of 500 hours of community service your senior year.
  • FarrCTFarrCT Registered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    what Karot, I distinctively remember it was 500 hours of community service in the FIRST SEMESTER of your senior year.
  • wmmkwmmk Registered User Posts: 269 Junior Member
    Do work, son(s, and/or daughters).

I do 500 hours of community service EVERY HOUR. Think about that.
  • syamil_1syamil_1 Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    you guys are funny haha
  • SkraylorSkraylor Registered User Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    Pfft....500 hours is nothing.

Now, back in MY day we had to do 1000 hours IN ADDITION to saving a third world country from some disaster (starvation, coup, civil war, etc)
  • katzanovakatzanova Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    You must have written at least 4 minuets, cured a minor disease or taken your first company public
    Plus 2000 hours of community service of course
  • innervisionsinnervisions User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 221 Junior Member
    Community service? Public office is much preferred, preferably a position that meets in Washington.
  • DenzeraDenzera Registered User Posts: 3,371 Senior Member
    Clearly the answer to the original question is, "sarcastic ones".
    I actually started an organization called "sarcasm without borders" to teach sarcasm to developing countries..
  • aronaron Registered User Posts: 141 Junior Member
    Now I am waiting for the genetic link...

The Science of Sarcasm (Not That You Care)
    Katherine P. Rankin, a Neuropsychologist, Studies Sarcasm - NYTimes.com
  • Emi2008Emi2008 Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    Using just myself as an example (because I'm the only person I know personally who was admitted to Columbia), I had very strong ECs, but "low" SAT scores. The highest was my math score, which was 650 (or 640, I can't recall). But I was also the Student Gov't president AND Yearbook editor my senior year, part of the Chemistry Olympiad junior year along with being on a Chemathon team (Chemathon is as bad as it sounds) and class president, and the list goes on of ECs that I do. The goal is not to have a list of ECs you've done, but a list of leadership roles you have. ANYONE can be part of Math club, but only the BEST of be the president of the math club, you see?

And always remember to be well-rounded. Even though it's an engineering school, they like to see that you've done other stuff that isn't science/math related.
    If you're an interesting and accomplished person, have relatively nice teachers to write recommendations, can take tests well and can show why you want to go to Columbia then you have as good of a chance as anyone else.

I got in (must have slipped by the admissions officers) and I can truthfully tell you that I don't fit a "type" of person other than the very broad description I gave above
  • Emi2008Emi2008 Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    Oh, oops- we're talking about SEAS - my post was referring to the engineering school- sorry about that... :P
  • chinnychinchangchinnychinchang Registered User Posts: 512 Member
    Can someone attach a resume to the Columbia application? I mean it says to "refrain" from attaching materials to the ECs...
This discussion has been closed.