Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Columbia students...What do you NOT like about Columbia?

2»

Replies to: Columbia students...What do you NOT like about Columbia?

• ShrafShraf Registered User Posts: 2,400 Senior Member
    well the cost of attendance increases always increases and not only at columbia
  • slowpoke91slowpoke91 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    yeah is student advising also that horrible?
  • undisclosedundisclosed Registered User Posts: 965 Member
    It depends on which adviser you get. I was very lucky and got dean Hemphill. She's helpful, nice, and I've seen her about 8 times so far (I'm a transfer). If she doesn't know about something she'll refer you with everything from a number to a map. I've heard some horror stories though.

After a year here I have to say that aside from the initial social cluster and music hum (oh how i loathe music hum) there's not much to hate.

I think the meal plan is a bit of a crook. The food is nice but damn expensive averaging like 10$ a meal- WITH a plan.

Oh and Hamilton is too crowded during peak hours. And one elevator for approx. 400 freshmen on 7 floors is just ridiculous. There are other buildings around for Pete's sake.
  • hcvopshcvops Registered User Posts: 396 Member
    The girls

F U

10 char
  • metsfanmetsfan Registered User Posts: 699 Member
    lol there are some attractive girls at Columbia, but in general.....mehhhh. Not saying that the guys (other than myself haha) are much better, but 121314 does have a bit of a valid point. An average-looking girl at Arizona State would probably be considered super-hot at Columbia which sometimes creates a whole ego thing and......I guess that's the only bad thing about the student body at Columbia, we're a tad on the narcissistic side, although a great bunch of people other than that.

Try googling "Everyone here is ugly" by Tucker Max and you'll have some idea about how people at Columbia look, although we're not really thattttt bad as in the article.
  • rooibosrooibos Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    A lot of people are super fashion-conscious... like obnoxiously so.
  • LionHeadedLionHeaded Registered User Posts: 365 Member
    Aside from hipsters?

It's true that you can always count on some Barnard girls t wear high heels and make-up to the library at 11pm (that's right; I said it. Come get me) but there are a lot of perma-sweat people....Especially the sports people for some reason. Not following the trend is not that big of a deal.
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 11,592 Super Moderator
    I agree with the bureaucracy. I'm a graduate student, so different level, but trying to get things done administratively is a nightmare here. I work as a graduate research assistant and I got my first paycheck a month and a half late because of the bureaucratic nightmare that is Columbia. Not to mention that I still haven't gotten my grades for the spring semester -- classes ended two months ago.

And they are always referring you to someone else -- "I'm not the person to talk to. The person who can help you is ____." This will happen 4-5 times until some blowhard finally tells you that the person you need isn't available to students, doesn't want to talk to you, isn't there, or can't help you. Grrrr

Everything else I like, but like I said, I'm not an undergrad. I don't have to deal with the undergrad dating scene or anything since I'm engaged, and I love my fellow graduate students. I also love the undergrads that I interact with; they're all so intelligent and ambitious (one of my senior friends was applying to law school and got admitted to a bunch of tops, including Duke, Harvard, Yale, NYU, and Columbia. She chose academic incest XD). I took a mixed-level undergrad/grad class and was really impressed with the caliber of the undergraduates here!

I'm also pretty impressed with the facilities on the main campus, but you must remember I'm a girl from a working-class background that went to a small, underfunded LAC for undergrad. Columbia is like a palace in comparison.
2»
This discussion has been closed.