Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Confused.com

2014hopeful2014hopeful Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
edited September 2009 in Columbia University
Please can someone explain to me how taking the SATI/IIs works from abroad?

- I read somewhere that the SAT1 has to be taken on a different date from the subject tests - is this true?
- Also how many subject test can be taken in one sitting? Is it two? Is it only Princeton and Harvard that require 3 subject test?
- What is the SAT latest testing date for regular decision?
- Also, finally, if applying as a relatively well-chanced international student for Ivy and similar institutions (the average anyway), is it better to apply RD or ED/EA with regards to improved admissions chances?

Any responses would be great. Thanks!
Post edited by 2014hopeful on

Replies to: Confused.com

• admissionsgeekadmissionsgeek Registered User Posts: 1,679 Senior Member
    1) yes you can't take i and iis at the same time, but most test dates allow you to take either i or iis (and up to 3 iis).
    2) above
    3) latest one is the january test date, let columbia know you will be taking that test though somewhere in the application.
    4) your question is misguided here - just because you might have a better chance of being admitted somewhere, does not mean it is a good idea to apply to that place. you might hate the school - and then you are kind of stuck. ED/EA is when you are positive about the uni as a first choice. if you want to see where you can get in and then decide, ED is a bad option, whereas EA is a good option out there for some students. in general i think a student that applies to a school with bad intentions (i.e. desire to improve admission chance or game the system), they lack the passion for the school to stand out, and even if admitted it will not be a 'love at first sight' kind of feeling, sort of ruining the experience of attending. you ought to have a strong interest and passion for a school(s) because it a) improves your chance of admission, b) allows you to enjoy the actual experience of attending more.
This discussion has been closed.