right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Try not to be offensive, but are master students (exclu MBA) cash cows??

PaxPaxPaxPax 59 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
edited September 2010 in Columbia University
It seems that most less-than-two-year (especially one year) master's degree at Columbia are VERY easy to get in. Also, no financial aid is offered. Some people say these masters programs are cash cows.

I have a concern that these programs hurt the school's reputation. What do you guys think?
edited September 2010
5 replies
Post edited by PaxPax on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Try not to be offensive, but are master students (exclu MBA) cash cows??

• polimaxpolimax 3 replies4 threads- New Member
    All master's degree programs (including MBA) are cash cows.
    Master degree programs at Harvard MIT Yale etc. are all pretty easy to get in.
    · Reply · Share
  • wifey99999999wifey99999999 344 replies37 threadsRegistered User Member
    easy to get in??

yea right, i mean, unless your application is among the best 20-30%.

Geez. I wonder how those schools can squeeze out the tuition cash from those 70% who get rejected?
    · Reply · Share
  • PaxPaxPaxPax 59 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I believe MBA are very selective (only 12% admitted)
    People say some master's program like statistics are just safeties!
    It's ridiculous they treat Columbia as their safety school!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • cmburns14cmburns14 255 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    The masters that Columbia offers through Continuing Education are typically quite easy to get into (e.g. higher education fundraising). Other ivies/top schools have these masters as well through the night and weekends divisions (like Penn's Masters in Organizational Dynamics).

The masters degrees from SEAS, Grad School of Arts and Science, public health and professional schools are definitely not easy to get into- an applicant has to have strong undergraduate credentials, PhD program-comparable general GRE and relevant letters of recommendation. I think the typical applicant has a serious interest in the subject matter but either a) wants to work in the private sector so a PhD isn't needed b) wants to test the waters for a PhD down the road.

When I visited Columbia SEAS a couple years ago, I noticed the vast majority of masters/PhD students are foreign, especially Chinese- but I think that's similar to any graduate engineering program, including mine at a UC.
    · Reply · Share
  • Columbia2002Columbia2002 4486 replies43 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    All master's degree programs (including MBA) are cash cows.

This is true -- law and biz schools at the top unis are cash cows. OP: don't confuse cash cow with easy to get into.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity