Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Additional Information

qweasdqweasd Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
edited October 2010 in Common Application
Hey people, I just wanted to share what I put on my Additional Information section.
Please help!
----
On my Junior Year, I participated in a very complex, but rewarding, project known as Integrated Project (IP), for my AP US History and Honors English class. IP is a yearlong commitment that requires continual involvement. IP involved two parts: research and application. My team had to thoroughly a research the social, political, economic, and daily life of a time period; our research would be reviewed by my AP US History teacher on about a monthly basis. After five months of research, the group then focused on creating an entertaining and educational production.
My project, entitled Standoff in Space, involved the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) during the Reagan Era. The first half of my presentation captured the subculture of fear of Nuclear War during the time. The second half offers a 'what if' SDI was real, and the Soviet decided to try to bomb the US. The result would take too long to explain, but the audience reaction would not. The audience found the humorous, education, and overall fantastic.
I was the group leader, director, co-video editor, co-historian, co-scriptwriter, and actor in my group for this project.
If interested,
Here are excerpts of the hour-long IP presentation.
YouTube - IP Standoff in Space- Beginning
YouTube - Scene- Dream of Nuclear War
YouTube - Scene- Reagan Day
The live presentation was captured on film. Unfortunately, the quality of video and audio are poor. Standoff in Space on Vimeo
Questions:

1. Should I upload the video of the end, with the crowd’s applause? I mean it sounds kinda self-indulgant on paper, but maybe colleges would like it, as a verifier of the project’s actual success. What do you guys think?
2. Should I rephrase what I wrote or is it just fine?
3. Do you think the officer will actually watch all those videos?
Post edited by qweasd on

Replies to: Additional Information

• griffengriffen Registered User Posts: 1,033 Senior Member
    You should double check this sentence which has errors:
    The audience found the humorous, education, and overall fantastic.
  • qweasdqweasd Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    Hey thanks for the reply, but I completely revised my 'additional information'.

It now reads:

My most time-consuming extracurricular activity on my junior year was, by far, the Integrated Project (IP). IP is a very complex, but rewarding, yearlong project that has been a tradition in my school for over a decade. IP involves two parts: research and application. My team had to thoroughly research the state of the United States in the 1980s; our research would be reviewed by my AP US History teacher on a monthly basis. By the end I had over twenty pages of political, economic, social, and daily life information of the time. My group would use the research gathered to create a play and film, which was presented at the end of the school year. The presentation was met with a standing ovation.

I was the group leader, director, co-video editor, co-historian, co-scriptwriter, and actor of my IP group.

Excerpts of the production can be found here:
    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Do you think the admin officer will even watch the video?
  • griffengriffen Registered User Posts: 1,033 Senior Member
    Whether the adcom will watch the video will vary from school to school. Larger schools and schools that don't place much emphasis on ECs are not likely to watch it. Smaller schools and more selective schools are more likely to watch it. There is an MIT thread in which an adcom specifically said this year that they love links.
This discussion has been closed.