Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do I need to apply as a transfer if I am doing concurrent studies?

JostVanDykeJostVanDyke Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
edited January 2012 in Common Application
I am currently a junior in high school and I am doing a concurrent studies program at my local university. I am currently taking 2 intro-101 courses(for credit) and will be taking 2 more senior year.

Apparently, in my case, I am ineligible to apply as a 'freshmen applicant' as I would indicate on the CommonApp when I apply to colleges in the fall because of my current enrolment in a post-secondary institution. Instead, I would apply as a 'transfer applicant'.

Is it true?

I am not reaching for a degree at the university as I am only in the concurrent studies program. On top of that, I take most of my courses at my high school anyway. I don't believe I should be classified as a transfer applicant.

If someone could answer my question, it would be great.
Post edited by JostVanDyke on

Replies to: Do I need to apply as a transfer if I am doing concurrent studies?

  • college_querycollege_query Registered User Posts: 4,423 Senior Member
    If you do not yet have a high school diploma, even if you are taking classes at a university, then I believe you will still be a first-year (freshman) applicant.

    I work at a university, and if a student is coming direct from high school, it doesn't matter how many credits they bring in, from concurrent enrollment, AP, etc., they are still considered as a first-year applicant.

    FYI, some schools will not give you credit for college work taken while in HS. You may wish to look at the websites of some schools you are considering to see how they treat this.
This discussion has been closed.