Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Tax Confusion??

kingdannyofleonkingdannyofleon Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited May 2012 in Common Application
I'm a 17-year-old non-working US citizen living in Costa Rica with my single mother who is NOT a US citizen. She does not nor is required to pay taxes. The Common Application (and the FAFSA) requires tax information which, if I understand correctly, is used by universities to decide upon financial aid. Does somebody know what information I can substitute it with and how to do so?
Post edited by kingdannyofleon on

Replies to: Tax Confusion??

  • jvtDadjvtDad Registered User Posts: 658 Member
    Are you eligible noncitizen? See below.

    Generally, you are an eligible noncitizen if you are one of the following:
    U.S. permanent resident, with a Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Receipt Card or "Green Card")
    Conditional permanent resident (I-551C)
    Other eligible noncitizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Indefinite Parole," "Humanitarian Parole," or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant"
    A citizen of the Republic of Palau (PW), the Republic of the Marshall Islands (MH), or the Federated States of Micronesia (FM).

    You can receive federal student aid if you are an eligible noncitizen. You must enter your eight or nine digit Alien Registration Number (ARN) on the FAFSA.
  • jvtDadjvtDad Registered User Posts: 658 Member
    Sorry, scratch my post. Didn't read your post too closely. You should post on the financial aid forum for more responses.
This discussion has been closed.