Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Where to List Achievements in Common App?

TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 929 Member
I understand that most colleges don't allow submitting resumes, so where in the Common App do most people list their achievements? My son has various state and national level musical achievements, and he hasn't found any place to list these in the Common App.

Replies to: Where to List Achievements in Common App?

• WhataProcessWhataProcess Registered User Posts: 580 Member
    You can include them in the Activities section, in the details/description area under the relevant activity.

If he needs more space, he can include it in the Additional Information (in the Writing section). This section can be used for anything. My kids have used it to expand on particularly meaningful ECs (a short paragraph to expand on the activity or its importance) or awards, etc.
  • corbeauxcorbeaux Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    What about the Honors section, under the Education tab? There are five spots to put down achievements and awards. You could also use the Activities section.
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 929 Member
    First, thank you @WhataProcess and @corbeaux for your kind responses. I found that the most logical place to list the musical accomplishments, as well as other significant accomplishments that were not previously mentioned in the Common App, is under the "Additional Information" in the Activity section. I found that 650 word limit in this section was more than enough to list the accomplishments in a resume style. I hope this is a good place?
  • LoveTheBardLoveTheBard Registered User Posts: 1,436 Senior Member
    Yes, you can use the additional information space for that. Just don't repeat anything you have in the other sections.
  • x793n28x793n28 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    My daughter's GC told her to list her top national and state awards in the Honors section of the CA. Another poster disagreed with me about this the other day, but if your son is the top player for his instrument in your state, or one of the top 10 in the country, and he has those awards, then our GC would've agreed to put that in the CA Honors section.
This discussion has been closed.