Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Common Application Extracurricular Activities- How to categorize???

pinklover331pinklover331 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
Hey! I began to take a look at the common for the 2018-2019 application cycle, and was a little confused on the extracurricular section.

What does "career oriented" mean? For example, I am the founder and president of my school's veterinary club. Would this be considered "career oriented" or "other club/ activity"?

I also began as a job shadow/ volunteer at a local veterinary clinic, but am now paid for this summer (so 2 years unpaid, 1 year paid). Would I put this as "career oriented" or "paid work" even though I was only paid 1/3 of my time?

Thank you and any help is appreciated!

Replies to: Common Application Extracurricular Activities- How to categorize???

• pinklover331pinklover331 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Also, what would you list NHS as? Other club/ activity or community service?
  • NorthCackalackyNorthCackalacky Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Career oriented basically refers to activities that center around a certain career usually one that you're interested in pursuing. If you are a person interested in animals and considering being a veterinarian as a career, that'd be career oriented. As for your job shadowing and volunteer work, you could list that as paid work and explain briefly that you were a volunteer for two years unpaid and one year paid in the position and organization name section.

ex. participation level: 9, 10, 11th grades and Position/Leadership: *Organization name* Volunteer (9-10th) Paid (11th)

I like this format since it shows you have went up in ranks going from an unpaid volunteer to a paid employee.

I'd list NHS as Academic.
  • pinklover331pinklover331 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Thank you so much!! That really helps!!