right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Do colleges care that I take 5 classes junior year?

I am a rising junior and I have 3 AP's (AP Calc BC, AP Chem, and APUSH) that I am scheduled to take. These classes along with Law and American Literature make up the entirety of my courseload next year. However, I am currently facing a dilemma about taking Spanish 3 online or in school. Taking Spanish 3 online will increase the amount of free time I will have and taking it in school risks the chance of getting a B (the teachers at my school are not known to be the best).

Will taking 5 classes negatively effect my impression on colleges? Do colleges care that I take 5 classes junior year? Is taking language online frowned upon?

3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do colleges care that I take 5 classes junior year?

• skieuropeskieurope 41090 replies7735 threads Super Moderator
    edited August 2019
    Will taking 5 classes negatively effect my impression on colleges?
    Probably, if most students takes 6+, and only having 5 impacts course rigor, and you are not taking subjects in all core departments.
    Is taking language online frowned upon?
    Taking an online class when a school does not offer the class is fine. Taking an online class to avoid a teacher/avoid a B/gain more free time is probably less highly regarded.

Even if 5 classes is the norm, take Spanish over Law. Core courses are always more important than electives.
    edited August 2019
    Post edited by skieurope on
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10457 replies124 threads Senior Member
    Take Spanish at school. Drop your law elective if necessary.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3521 replies81 threads Senior Member
    ^ Agreed. Drop law, take Spanish.

Heaven forbid a teacher make you work hard for an A!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity