right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Official high school transcript for green card holder

yananinyananin 0 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
I'm green card holder and want to apply for college but it requires "Official high school transcript ". What if i don't have one? I've finished my school in Ukraine and we don't have such things as Proficiency level, type ( course, honors etc), credit and GPA. Also we have 12 grade scoring system. So what should I do? Ask my school about transcript even if it will be completely different from US transcript? What if they can't do such thing? What if I have "Certificate on obtaining complete general secondary education" and addition with my marks from my graduation year? Does this count as transcript? Also I know that colleges requires School Report, Mid Year Report and Final Report. Is it the same as Official high school transcript? And does transcript include my marks from previous years? Please help. What should I do? I'm confused

3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Official high school transcript for green card holder

  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 6480 replies51 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 11
    Take a deep breath: this is not a crisis :-)

    Every year tens of thousands of students apply to US colleges from all over the world- and therefore with non-US transcripts. US colleges know & understand that the info asked of students studying in the US (regardless of citizenship status) is not necessarily available from students studying outside the US. Not all colleges have the same requirements, but in general they like to see your results from the last part of secondary school. I'm not sure if I remember this right, so correct as necessary, but I think Ukraine has an upper secondary (15+), with a matric exam at the end? If so, then your school should send whatever school records are typical (eg, end of year marks) + your matric results (if you already have them).

    ps, your green card status is completely irrelevant from a transcript point of view, but will be helpful from an admissions point of view.
    edited August 11
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5277 replies1 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    You probably should ask admissions at two or three universities that you are interested in and see what they say.

    I would expect that you need to obtain a transcript from your school in the Ukraine. If it is completely different from the transcript from a US school that is okay. Admissions will be able to tell you whether they will take the transcript as is, or if some form of translation or additional information is needed. Also, you can describe what you already have and admissions can tell you whether it is all that they need. As @collegemom3717 said, many students manage to apply to schools in the US from high schools outside the US. We have done the opposite -- applying to universities outside the US from high schools inside the US, and did not have any problems.

    Universities in the US should know how to interpret the 12 point system from your high school in the Ukraine.

    High school transcripts normally include grades from all four years of high school.

    A "green card" is of course an informal term for a permanent resident visa. This means that you are considered the same as a US citizen for the purpose of university (and for many other purposes).
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29492 replies170 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Each college and university has the information about foreign secondary school records right on its website. If you can't find it easily, check the page for international applicants.

    You also need to verify the correct steps with the admissions offices. Tell them that you are a US applicant who was educated abroad. There are many students like you! The admissions offices will be able to tell you what you need to do. Don't worry if each college tells you something a little bit different. That is OK. Just do whatever College A asks for College A, and whatever College B asks for College B.
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity