Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

AMC - American Mathematics Competitions

justin94justin94 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
edited March 2010 in Common Application
hi I'm a sophomore this year and I've been preparing for the AMCs and i think i have pretty high chance of passing the AMC next year i was a bit short this year :( (it'd be AMC 12 so getting over 100 or top 1%)
so about this test AMC
does anyone know how much this will help for colleges? Do colleges like this a lot? And is there colleges that especially like this kind of stuffs? i just heard from someone that only less than 1000 ppl pass this exam to go to AIME so im interested
please help
Post edited by justin94 on

Replies to: AMC - American Mathematics Competitions

• dodostevedodosteve Registered User Posts: 119 Junior Member
    as long as you can make your way into AIME(if you got the qualifiying score)
    it counts for "something" on your application
    but i won't take it as a significant advantage unless you are applying for math of engineering major (i guess you probably do)

btw, this year's AMC12 is harder than ever, so the boundary is lowered to 87.5
    I am preparing for AIME now, good luck.
  • justin94justin94 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    **** 87.5?? i might have a chance too then!!! i think my score is around there.
    but im kinda more towards business major would that still help?
  • Bell CurvesBell Curves Registered User Posts: 406 Member
    The first 17-18 questions arn't usually extremely hard. I made it to AIME, twice, but I don't think it's worth alot unless you make USAMO.
  • justin94justin94 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    darn it (i'll lower the level of the anger since it's a forum). that stinks i was kind of relying on that :(
    wow really? how many people even make it into USAMO? or rather AIME? whoa now i just feel stupid and feel like im such a failure struggling to pass to AIME haha
This discussion has been closed.