Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Forms of work experience

JebarPolskyJebarPolsky Registered User Posts: 766 Member
edited April 2010 in Common Application
I am planning on doing a lot of summer work experience before I submit my applications towards the end of the year.

Is it better to do 2-3 different forms of work experience for 2 weeks each to get a wide range of experience or do one form of work experience and show commitment by staying with that for 6 weeks?

Also, what form of work experience do Ivy league colleges value most, especially if someone is applying for business?

Thanks a lot!
Post edited by JebarPolsky on

Replies to: Forms of work experience

• JebarPolskyJebarPolsky Registered User Posts: 766 Member
    Anyone that can help me?
  • aryusaryus Registered User Posts: 315 Junior Member
    Alright, definitely, sticking to that one thing for 6 weeks is better. It is very odd to see even more than 1 paid job on work experience, and colleges will probably think you're a job commuter, which is not good at all.

For business, almost anything can go, as business covers everything. However, don't get to held up on that, as colleges do not admit you based on your future majors... If you are strictly interested in business though, you can find something. However, strictly "business major admin type jobs are extremely difficult to get as a high school student, especially now, since they are made for colleges students.
  • ncmentorncmentor Registered User Posts: 1,346 Senior Member
    The best would be to start you own business, earn a profit, and employ others.

Do something thats quirky and fun that will give you a good story. Something you can write a compelling essay about, that will make people want to meet you.
    I have already started a business, though we are kind of like a mix between a business and a non-profit I guess. That's because we keep some of the profit for ourselves and we give the remaining to charity. However, I only wrote my short answer on the business. For the personal statement I wrote a much longer and heavier essay on how my father and I used to be close but we slowly drifted away and I took up golf to get closer with him again (cos he plays).
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,515 Senior Member
    Most Ivies do not have undergraduate business programs.Be sure to research the undergraduate majors at the schools to which you apply. UPenn Wharton is the main exception--they would care about your business experience. Other Ivies would see it as an EC.
    I am not planning to put the business I started as a work experience. I will most probably put it as an EC, but are you saying I should put it as work experience for my Wharton App?
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,515 Senior Member
    You could put it either as an EC or work experience for Wharton. However six weeks of work may not hold much sway unless you have that amount for 3 or 4 summers.
    No.. for 6 weeks I taught 10 young kids English as a second language at a prestigious internship (ranked in top 10 by Princeton Review). I will have been running my business for 2 years when it comes to application time, so should I put my business as work experience or an EC because I do not have an employer, I own the business with 2 friends of mine?
    What type of business is it, out of curiosity? Also, I have the same question. If you do not have an employer or have an unpaid internship, would you put that in the work experience or E.C. It should be work exp, but if you have no pay....
    We recycle bottles and create furniture out of them. Well, I am paid; I keep some of the profits that the business makes. I guess I will put it under ECs because it isn't a job, more of a personal pleasure/hobby.
    Haha, nevertheless, that's pretty cool.. and unique! Good stuff.
    Today is a good day though, at least for my chances at Wharton. Got an award for Economics, and am taking part, and probably winning a prize, in a regional virtual stock exchange competition between schools (you can win prizes for achievement within school, within the whole tournament, and individual stuff). I think that would be quite good for Wharton.
This discussion has been closed.