Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best Time to get an early start

shadow1992shadow1992 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
edited April 2010 in Common Application
Hey guys

I looked through this board and I don't think that I saw an answer to my question, so my apologies if I missed it. I'd like to get an early start on the common app's essay questions. I thought that I heard a while back that Commonapp.org resets everything in mid-July. Is this correct?

I had more specific/direct questions but my brain is drawing a blank now... Thanks for any input.
Post edited by shadow1992 on

Replies to: Best Time to get an early start

• cowking15cowking15 Registered User Posts: 725 Member
    Its already been stated that this years prompts will be the same as next year
  • shadow1992shadow1992 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    Thanks for replying. Perhaps I didn't state my question succinctly enough, but I actually meant starting an account at CommonApp.org, not just to start the essays. This way the account would already be prepared. Is there any reason not to do so now instead of waiting until the summer, as I previously stated?
  • MacGyverMacGyver Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    shadow1992 -

Don't create an account until after August 1st. The Common App Online will be taken offline and updated sometime around mid-July and will go live again on August 1. Any application data entered before August 1 will be lost.
  • shadow1992shadow1992 Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    That's really absurd. Is there any particular reason why CommonApp does this? Pointless if you ask me, but oh well. If it's true though that most, if not all, essays will be kept, then I guess that I can still start on those...
  • impetuousimpetuous Registered User Posts: 978 Member
    I thought the date was July 1, not August 1....
    This year the app will go live on August 1st: https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/news.aspx#32

Changes are made every year to the Common App Online, so applications filled out in a prior year are not necessarily compatible with a future year's configuration.
  • pkm2232pkm2232 Registered User Posts: 340 Member
    if i have an account but havent entered any info will i be able to use the same account next year?
  • aryusaryus Registered User Posts: 315 Junior Member
    Of course.
  • sara12sara12 Registered User Posts: 765 Member
    So if I sign up right now, but don't start the actual application, I can use the same account next year?
    No, you will have to create a new account after August 1st. All applicant user accounts are removed when the system is reset on August 1st. Go ahead and create an account and have a look around, just plan to create a new account after August 1st.
  • DrelnisDrelnis Registered User Posts: 622 Member
    This year Common App is pushing the date back to August 1st, which means anything you do with your account now and between July 31st is gonna be deleted, all gone.

They do this to clear their database and to update the application with different questions if needed.

Plan your essay and what you want to fill in - the application will be more or less the same, just don't start putting it all in properly into your account yet since they are gonna reset their website since logically ppl who use the site this year are supposed to be in college already next year, there is very little sense in wasting space and storing that much information to process.
  • hillbilliehillbillie Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    Have a fairly ignorant question... Do school specific essay prompts change from year to year? If they do, when the new prompts become available? Thanks!
  • SoundwaveSoundwave Registered User Posts: 425 Member
    Schools generally annouced their essay prompt around July (some may earlier). From my experience, schools change their essay prompts every year. But Commonapp generally doesn't change.
This discussion has been closed.