right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Misentered Data

anonymousoliveanonymousolive 1 replies1 threads New Member
On my Common App, I accidentally put that my school had a class rank when in fact it does not have a class rank. This was a legitimate accident and I reported my GPA correctly. That's what all my Early Action schools received. I don't want it to seem that I have been purposefully lying to them.

My counselor sent my official high school transcript to my early action schools, so they can see that there is no school ranking system. I asked my counselor and she said that I should be fine. She added that after admitting a student the school would cross check with official records if they are given. I feel like I should be fine, but I am just asking.

Is it likely that a school will rescind my application due to having misentered data such as this? Remember, my official transcript is with my early action schools.

edited January 8
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Misentered Data

• ceramicsunsetsceramicsunsets 36 replies3 threads Junior Member
    From what I've heard, colleges typically rescind admissions decisions if your self-reported GPA or test scores are incorrect by a wide margin or something else major on your application was obviously and intentionally falsified. It's extremely unlikely that you'll be rescinded for something like this. Nevertheless, I would e-mail your colleges directly and inform them of the mistake just for a sense of security.

One thing I'm confused about - doesn't the Common App require you to report a class rank if you indicate that your school ranks? Did you report anything there or leave it blank? If you did report something, you should definitely e-mail your colleges. Again, it's not grounds for being rescinded, but it might help your case to clarify.
    · Reply · Share
  • izrk02izrk02 513 replies19 threads Member
    ^^^The above poster is wrong about the first part. Rescinding admissions is very rare and it will only relate to you if they find that you lied in a serious way (making a mistake doesn't count). Email your colleges though. Schools look at transcripts anyway, not self-reported (unless something is missing from your transcript). I also want to know what you put for your rank. If you put "1 of ___" then that'll be cause for suspicion. How did you fill it out if you don't know?
    · Reply · Share
  • ceramicsunsetsceramicsunsets 36 replies3 threads Junior Member
    I was trying to make the point that it is rare and only happens if someone lies about something serious on purpose. I apologize, that wasn't very clear.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1923 replies31 threads Senior Member
    I don’t think it’s really needed, but I suppose an email is quick and easy.

“ Is it likely that a school will rescind my application due to having misentered data such as this?”

Zero chance of that happening for accidentally checking a box on the application.
    · Reply · Share