Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

CC California

KelsenKelsen Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
edited April 2012 in Community Colleges
Hi guys,

I'd wanted to ask you a little bit, what do you think about my situation, getting accepted in a CC in California. Im an International Student from Austria, and I'd like to apply to some good CC in the CA area like SMC, SB, De Anza or Mt. San Antonio as a transfer degree student.

There are only a few problems:

My so-called Matura grades are not very good, they are like average, because I did a lot of volunteer work and extra-curricular activities and wasted a little bit of my time.
Now I discovered a new opportunity of getting my dream come true: applying at CC to study in the US. My longer-term plan would be to transfer to a well-known USC or even better UC university (like UCLA). After that I want to go to law school or make my master degree at a Ivy league university (or top 20/30 uni).
I know I have to work hard - even harder than ever before - to get good grades, but it is my will.

Extra-Curricular activities/volunteering:

- school representative, 1year
- representative of vienna's students (area representative), 1year
- made the vienna's students newspaper
- founder & head of the school's own school newspaper, 1year
- active in a students right group, 3 years
- journalist at the students corner of a nation-wide newspaper (DerStandard - they also have a coop. with NYT in the US)
- completed a 6 months training as a leadership & communication consultant
- i held several seminars for students in communications, leadership, motivation skills, team-building etc.

other activities:

- completed the FCE exam
- two weeks volunteering programm in a asylum for the blind
- two weeks spent in France, Antibes, completed the programm with A2+, highest grade you can get
- played two years in a basketball team
- i play a little bit of piano & guitar
- i speak german, turkish (first language); english (fluently); french (good basic skills); italian (basic skills)

Now I'm arranging my portfolio including:

- TOEFL, grades from high school (Matura/abitur)
- essay
- etc.

What do you think? Is it worth applying at CC? Would they take me with the right TOEFL degree?

I would be grateful for any information!
Thanks a lot!!!
Post edited by Kelsen on

Replies to: CC California

• Cyse00Cyse00 Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    I don't think you need to apply to a community college, just register. Good luck
  • KelsenKelsen Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    You mean, I could just sign in and that the schools don't select?

What do you think about my chances at a 4-year school?

Thank you!!!
  • alwaysleahalwaysleah Registered User Posts: 2,737 Senior Member
    Just call a CC in the location of your choice and ask them how an international student would register. You don't have to apply.

Some California CCs I would recommend:

Butte College-Chico, CA.
    It's sort of a party school if you care. It's not a beach school or anything. It's by CSU Chico way up near the top of Cali

Cuesta--SLO, CA.
    beach, right by a top rated CSU, Cal Poly SLO)

Santa Barbara City-- Santa Barbara, CA.
    beach, right by UCSB.

These three all have residential dorms for the CC students, all are in college towns, and all will give you a "college experience."

You could transfer fairly easily from any of these schools to UCLA or UCB if you get a really good GPA and have ECs, which of course is somewhat difficult to do, depending on your study habits.

I can't chance you for a 4 year university because I don't know your grades or how your education system works, but I'm sure you could get into some good ones based on your ECs.
  • KelsenKelsen Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    Actually Im looking for a cc where the academic standards are very high and where the people know the time, when the time is to study and when the time is to chill out. I am a type of student, who needs discussion and student participation in class, to get motivated.

Im still not sure if I should enroll in SBCC or SMC.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    You DO need to apply to CCC's, but it only takes minutes. I believe the application process is a little different for international students.

CCCApply
    http://secure.cccapply.org/

International students on a visa
    http://secure.cccapply.org/Apply/international.asp
This discussion has been closed.