Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Too late to sign up for CC in time for upcoming school year?

itiu21itiu21 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
I have applied to 10 universities already. I'm beginning to think that my family won't be able to pay for my education so I have been thinking about community colleges since some of my friends are also. But it's February and I won't get my college financial aid packages until probably March or April, if I decide in April I would like to attend CC instead do you think it'll be too late to sign up? I already tried to predict the cost of attending those universities I applied to but it's just that I still can't be sure exactly how much I will have to pay... So i'm just trying to gather some back up plan.

It never occurred to me how much money one could save by attending CC for the first two years of college career then transfer...

Replies to: Too late to sign up for CC in time for upcoming school year?

• ALFALF Registered User Posts: 1,166 Senior Member
    You won't be too late to apply for entry for the Fall, but you might find that you will be too late to sign up for many classes that will already be full (depending on where you live). Find out when you can begin to register for classes as a new student at your local CC; that may help guide you in decision-making. You don't want to try to register for classes too long after that date.
  • NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 5,462 Senior Member
    There's nothing like living in a freshman dorm. That said, it's really expensive. Kinda like driving a Porsche - undeniably AWESOME but out of reach for many.

At the end of high school, many kids want a new environment and more freedom - a bigger pond if you will. Others are happy to continue in the same surroundings.

Not all CCs are created equal - so look into the transfer record of your local school. Choose another if need be.

Good luck.
  • StuckatCCSFStuckatCCSF Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    It is never too late. In fact, some local CCs have 'short term' classes that start this coming March.
    1) Check out your local CC and do the online application ASAP.
    2) After that, you have to take the placement test(unless you have AP scores you can send in) to test into math and english classes.
    3)Then you have to attend a student orientation(can be in class or online)
    4) Meet with counselor
    5)Register for class
    6)apply for financial aid

Random financial aid blurbs: If you are in California, you can be eligible for a BOG fee waiver that pays your tuition. If you've completed 2 AP tests with a 3 or higher, I think you are eligible for an extra grant(FSEOG I think?).

My thoughts as a CC student:
    Upside: Going to a CC can definitely save you a bunch of money by getting general education classes out of the way(lower division math, english, humanities, arts, social science, behavioral science). Out where I am, 1 unit is 1/4 the cost($46 at a CC vs $400 at UC Berkeley) and a regular class is usually 3 units(usually 12-15 units per semester). Also factor in the cost of living on your own in the dorms(housing, food, utilities) vs living at home(if you are fortunate enough to live near a CC).

Downside: Some CCs are pretty damn full. It's hard to get the classes you want sometimes(especially math, english and science) because you start out with a really late registration date when you first enroll. It isn't uncommon for students to take 3 years instead of 2 years to transfer. Furthermore, make sure you can handle whatever major you can transfer into. Trying to do a STEM major? You better work your ass off b/c it's no joke. Try to keep up your GPA and unit load on top of extra curricular activities to make your application competitive.
This discussion has been closed.