Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How does the FAFSA work for community colleges?

WestCoastPedantWestCoastPedant Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
This is a basic question for anyone who understands the FAFSA a bit more than I do, and I apologize if I've put this in the wrong forum.

My CC has sent me an e-mail explaining that they've accepted my FAFSA and that I can go and check on my award details. Currently, it says my cost of attendance is about $11,000. I don't understand why it's so high if it's a CC. Is there something I'm not getting here, or is $11,000 really the cost of a year's attendance at a public, community college?

Sorry if the question seems stupid, but I'm genuinely baffled and don't understand why that number is so high.

Replies to: How does the FAFSA work for community colleges?

• ALFALF Registered User Posts: 1,175 Senior Member
    This doesn't sound like a FAFSA issue, as much as an issue with that particular college. Unless you are applying from out-of-state, that does indeed sound high, assuming that this is for one year and does not include room and board. In-state tuition where I live (Washington State) is slightly over $3K/yr and I think that is typical for most states. I'd check that email carefully to make sure that it is an annual amount and that it is for in-state tuition.

There should also be a note somewhere stating how much aid you can receive, based on your FAFSA info.
This discussion has been closed.