Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How does the transfer process work from Community College to 4-year university?

UltimabladeUltimablade Registered User Posts: 585 Member
edited June 2016 in Community Colleges
How does the process work in states with guaranteed university acceptance upon completion of an Associates (transfer) degree from a two-year Community College?

I want to complete an Associates of Science at the CC before I transfer into a university, will this affect my chances of getting accepted at an Engineering college within the University?

Replies to: How does the transfer process work from Community College to 4-year university?

  • ALFALF Registered User Posts: 1,176 Senior Member
    In virtually all states with CC-to-University transfer agreements, the agreement is for acceptance for general admission to the state universities. There is no guarantee of admission to a specific program. In order to be accepted with Junior status into a university Engineering program, you will have to take more courses than you need to just earn the Associate's degree. You will also typically have to earn high grades in order to be accepted into most competitive Engineering programs.

    Your community college should have a transfer guide that details what you will need to do to prepare for transfer into a university Engineering program. A similar transfer guide should be available from the universities you hope to tranfer into. Fitting all the courses you need into only two years is quite challenging and you will need to consult with advisors and Engineering faculty in order to make it work. In my experience, most students need at least another term beyond two years to complete everything.
  • HoustonOrBustHoustonOrBust Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    I don't know which state you're in (please mention), but for University of California (and I hear, Texas A&M) in-state community college students, if they complete a list of required courses for their major and attain a certain gpa, will be guaranteed admission via a Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG).

    Not all University of California campuses do this. And some (like UCSB, and A&M as well) might not do this for specific majors, like engineering, but will do it for every other major.

  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 3,093 Senior Member
    My understanding is that in community colleges in NY have employees whose job is to assist those students who intend to transfer to 4 year schools, so that might be a place to start. I would think that all cc's would have such staff.
This discussion has been closed.